Melvins & Helms Alee

Started by CoryCory, August 01, 2023, 08:22:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

black stallion

Quote from: vaporInhaler on August 20, 2023, 02:37:06 PM
Lots of limited releases this year. Probably 5 years worth of releases at least. I think everyone is picking and choosing what to get due to budget. Pretty fuckin awesome time to be a Melvins fan...

i think nothing can beat regular albums, i'd be a lot happier with less releases but more proper/solid albums with good production
Charmicarmicat:Bastards

#2 Pencil

I remember Buzz saying once he prefers EP's to albums, but the record companies do not. I think it was rating his 10 Melvins releases and was in response to picking Eggnog.
I heard their periods attract bears

amazonAMAZON

Yeah well Eggnog is a perfect EP. All these EPs the last five years have been less essential.

Buzz, if you want to write four great songs and put it together in sequence and master it properly then let's do that. Just doing three covers and a weird improv you're going to re-use on the next album with minimal attention to sonics isn't really making the case for preferring EPs.

It sounds like I'm complaining but I'm not! I'm disagreeing. Still very glad to be a Melvins fan right now.

>>>JZS<<<


Listening to the CD, and the double drums on this are killer !!!


black stallion

Quote from: amazonAMAZON on August 21, 2023, 04:31:19 PM
Yeah well Eggnog is a perfect EP. All these EPs the last five years have been less essential.

Buzz, if you want to write four great songs and put it together in sequence and master it properly then let's do that. Just doing three covers and a weird improv you're going to re-use on the next album with minimal attention to sonics isn't really making the case for preferring EPs.

It sounds like I'm complaining but I'm not! I'm disagreeing. Still very glad to be a Melvins fan right now.

yeah, impossible to compare Eggnog with these ltd releases, maybe just for the lenght. Anyway i think Buzz can do whatever he wants with all the incredible music he put out in the past, re arrange old songs,  tribute albums etc..all is welcome
Charmicarmicat:Bastards

vince furnier

i'm impressed this one is 5 tracks!  :lol:
Welcome to my Nightmare!
inbox is currently 82% full. TEAMWORK MAKES THE DREAM WORK!
"uh no, but we do know that meezer is vince furnier" - brian

))))((((

One day there really should be a huge release of ALL the different AmRep EP's and none Ipecac album tracks. Both a physical release and a Bandcamp offering please! I'm always surprised they don't work something out with Ipecac to put out a massive collection of this type or other. Perhaps that's something for when the band is no longer active or just simply old.

linoleum blownapart

I wish am rep would have a bandcamp.  i'm good with that.  hate buying a cheapy cd, just to rip it stick on a shelf.  i'd still pay the 5 bucks.
thrower of the bong water balloons

Stonergrunge

Quote from: linoleum blownapart on August 23, 2023, 12:20:56 PM
I wish am rep would have a bandcamp.  i'm good with that.  hate buying a cheapy cd, just to rip it stick on a shelf.  i'd still pay the 5 bucks.

This.
cartoons, chocolate milk & rock 'n' roll!!
Fuzz is love.
Foot fetishism means love, because, it's the magic of feet odor... Long live depravation.

Nizamark

Quote from: Stonergrunge on August 23, 2023, 01:16:53 PM
Quote from: linoleum blownapart on August 23, 2023, 12:20:56 PM
I wish am rep would have a bandcamp.  i'm good with that.  hate buying a cheapy cd, just to rip it stick on a shelf.  i'd still pay the 5 bucks.

This.
That.

amazonAMAZON

Bandcamp has a really hard time with cover songs. I think one of the things with amrep is they just sort of seem to skirt the rules around this stuff by only doing limited physical media. They probably pay those minimum publishing royalties based on incredibly small numbers. I'm only guessing, but we wouldn't have the Sabbath record or the Husker cover or the whole Void Manez collab up there. I'd rather buy the Cheapy CD than be second guessing about whether it's missing some unlisted track or whatever.

GiveMe45

Quote from: amazonAMAZON on August 23, 2023, 05:05:44 PM
Bandcamp has a really hard time with cover songs. I think one of the things with amrep is they just sort of seem to skirt the rules around this stuff by only doing limited physical media. They probably pay those minimum publishing royalties based on incredibly small numbers. I'm only guessing, but we wouldn't have the Sabbath record or the Husker cover or the whole Void Manez collab up there. I'd rather buy the Cheapy CD than be second guessing about whether it's missing some unlisted track or whatever.
For some reason, I thought you didn't have to pay any publishing royalties until you've sold a certain amount of copies. So that was my thought behind why they do these limited releases.

rimb

Quote from: GiveMe45 on August 23, 2023, 05:31:39 PM
Quote from: amazonAMAZON on August 23, 2023, 05:05:44 PM
Bandcamp has a really hard time with cover songs. I think one of the things with amrep is they just sort of seem to skirt the rules around this stuff by only doing limited physical media. They probably pay those minimum publishing royalties based on incredibly small numbers. I'm only guessing, but we wouldn't have the Sabbath record or the Husker cover or the whole Void Manez collab up there. I'd rather buy the Cheapy CD than be second guessing about whether it's missing some unlisted track or whatever.
For some reason, I thought you didn't have to pay any publishing royalties until you've sold a certain amount of copies. So that was my thought behind why they do these limited releases.

Interesting - that would explain a LOT

GiveMe45

My vinyl showed up today.  I've been very lacking on playing vinyl for a while but I just threw it on immediately after opening it.  Extremely happy with it.  Only slight complaint is that it doesn't sound like Buzz does any vocals on the Scorpions cover but it's still awesome.  I commented back when I saw Helms open for Melvins in 2018 that it was pretty ballsy to cover a song by the band you're opening for but At The Stake was amazing that night and I love it even more on this album.

>>>JZS<<<

Quote from: GiveMe45 on August 23, 2023, 08:37:34 PM
My vinyl showed up today.  I've been very lacking on playing vinyl for a while but I just threw it on immediately after opening it.  Extremely happy with it.  Only slight complaint is that it doesn't sound like Buzz does any vocals on the Scorpions cover but it's still awesome.  I commented back when I saw Helms open for Melvins in 2018 that it was pretty ballsy to cover a song by the band you're opening for but At The Stake was amazing that night and I love it even more on this album.
Whoever is singing the Scorpions song is doing a great job, probably the dude in Helms.