Houdini

Started by cooter, October 12, 2003, 02:05:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

vince furnier

Welcome to my Nightmare!

Israeli billionaire dies during penis enlargement surgery

the bloat

I think that while Houdini has some great songs on it, they have better albums that make for a more satisfying front to back listen. I think Stoner Witch is slightly superior during this era. I've always liked the way Houdini was recorded. The drums sound full and the guitars are dense. Interesting how Pitchfork labels Houdini as a "transitional" record. I don't really see it that way. I think you could call Stag or Honky more transitional, since those were more rooted in sonic experimentation. I see Houdini as a logical extension to Bullhead.

Oscar

Good point, it's totally in Bullhead's lineage.

The thing I feel dampens Houdini is that it's not as well performed as other albums of its time.
Stoner Witch especially kicked things into a tighter gear in terms of performance and production.

Billy and GGGarth did great work to make Houdini sound enormous though.

amazonAMAZON

I think the big set list songs in Houdini generally sound good. But the Kurt parts are kinda wack. Night Goat may have been superior on the single. Lizzy, Going Blind, and Set Me Straight stick out as weaker sonically. I get it being transitional.

I'm splitting hairs anyway, the album is a solid 9 or better.

Oscar

Agreed, it's all still high-level critique. What's interesting about that set of songs is how the subsequent heavy touring shaped the tunes into how they're supposed to be played, which is why I think they felt Gluttony and Lust to be necessary.

Hag Me is a good example - that drum pattern took on a completely different shape over the years with Dale finding a much more fitting pocket for it later on. Having heard the matured versions way more often by now, the Houdini recording feels unwieldy.