David Scott Stone

Started by brian, December 11, 2003, 01:39:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

FartLips

Quote from: JASONALEXANDER on March 08, 2024, 11:35:21 PM
Brilliant story, Ian!  :lol:  :lol: And what harm has Ian ever done to Fart that he deserves to be harrassed no matter what he writes, even when it's funny and brilliant as fuck? Digger > Nigger and an Fuck > Shut!  :lol:

Mount Ambulance

No Ian *cough* Meez ... it was a joke or perhaps an exclamation of disbelief ... In the mid-late 90s I kinda fell out w/ Melvins ... I didn't immediately dig the Atlantic era ... Houdini yeah ... and parts of the rest but at the time I thought they were going quirky (a la Primus) and alota that stuff I didn't dig ... I still went and saw 'em live a bunch and it killed but on recorded; nah ... then they booted Mark ... by the time I saw them again they had Kev (and DSS) I hadn't heard the trilogy and had no idea who Kev or Dave were ... 2 sets that crushed ... lots of tunes I never heard (I'll always remember hearing AMAZON the first time as a live version) it was dark, menacing, strange, heavy ... Dave added all kinds of cool "noise" (I like that shit ... Merzbow and such) that added a whole new element and wove in and out really subtle (maybe not that 2set intro tho!) His guitar shit was great ... more than just following/overlaying Buzz ... adding new shit ... or different timbered fingerings of the riffs ... listen to the bending single note stuff he plays in main riff of Night Goat; awesome ... as for his image I thought the juxtaposition of this guy who didn't look a Melvin was heavy as hell! He was fantastic in the Big Band when I saw them too! As for Kev; well you know, right?

As for not knowing who they were (Kev and Dave) or the tunes they were playing ... that seemed normal ... Up until recently (or internet age anyway) I never had any idea about what the fuck they were doing ... walk in a record store and hey a new Melvins ... get it home ... no real info ... whatever ... go see 'em; oh hey a new bass player ... I always thought that was cool and kinda miss it in the information age   
It was a big night out on the town for the Id and the Reptile Brain ...

like a brick wall, like a dream waiting to be!

GiveMe45

I had a great time whenever DSS played live with them

The Minneapolis Kid

DSS was always a treat when I saw him play with the Melvins. I really liked that he kept a lot of his effects on a music stand so they were always in arms reach. I was super excited after seeing him the first time and was very much looking forward to another guitar player that did wild stuff and not just rhythm or whatever.
I know he's being doing a lot of modular synth stuff but I haven't heard any but I would assume it's probably really good.

joelk

Quote from: The Minneapolis Kid on July 11, 2016, 05:31:55 AM
DSS was always a treat when I saw him play with the Melvins. I really liked that he kept a lot of his effects on a music stand so they were always in arms reach. I was super excited after seeing him the first time and was very much looking forward to another guitar player that did wild stuff and not just rhythm or whatever.
I know he's being doing a lot of modular synth stuff but I haven't heard any but I would assume it's probably really good.

It's funny, this whole conversation sent me searching google for any recent work of his and I can't seem to find anything beyond 2011? I hope he emerges someday in a new project of some visibility.

PepsiMike

Quote from: joelk on July 11, 2016, 11:09:33 AM

It's funny, this whole conversation sent me searching google for any recent work of his and I can't seem to find anything beyond 2011? I hope he emerges someday in a new project of some visibility.
He's looking for a new band right now.

The Minneapolis Kid

Quote from: PepsiMike on July 11, 2016, 01:09:38 PM

I know he's in something. I follow him on Instagram (I know, I'm fuckin' awesome!) one of his more recent posts was him with some other dudes with band type stuff or I could be lying but I know that he's been doing electronic shit with people whose names I don't recognize.
Damn Joel, now I wanna try and track anything recent down!

PepsiMike

Quote from: The Minneapolis Kid on July 11, 2016, 11:46:13 PM

I know he's in something. I follow him on Instagram
You must have missed when he posted recently that he wants to start playing with a working band.

meezer

Here ya go DSS.

https://losangeles.craigslist.org/search/muc

And you might want to leave the electrical wire at home.  :D
"Get off of our stage. If you want on this stage, get in show business." -King Buzzo
"Yeah, we don't come in the 7-11 where you work and get up on the counter." -Mark D
https://soundcloud.com/meezerpocalypse/nathalie-b20-driving-force-paploviante-cyclone-open-collab-meezerpocalypse-haboob-remix

The Minneapolis Kid

Quote from: PepsiMike on July 12, 2016, 11:21:14 AM
Quote from: The Minneapolis Kid on July 11, 2016, 11:46:13 PM

I know he's in something. I follow him on Instagram
You must have missed when he posted recently that he wants to start playing with a working band.

Must've. I'm rarely on there anymore so I'm sure I've missed plenty. I'm sure he'll find "work" in a "band" pretty easy using Instagram! All I know was he has been doing electronic shit with another dude and I saw that, well I don't remember, so that's about how long it's been.

Bigval

If anyone is interested Neurot have made a MGR vs SirDSS collaborative album for free/name your price for the next week:

https://m-g-r.bandcamp.com/album/impromptu

What began as an informal recording-program tutorial became a (only slightly more formal) recording session between Isis guitarist/MGR mastermind Mike Gallagher and former Get Hustle/Slug guitarist David Scott Stone (whose collaborations include work with the Melvins, Big Business, The Locust, Merzbow, Unwound, Mike Patton and Tool guitarist Adam Jones).