What Melvins album did you start with?

Started by Fast and Bulbous, July 16, 2006, 08:28:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

seas of luck

I was a big Fantomas fan so I eventually got around to buying the Big Band cd.  My brother had always said the Melvins sucked cause he bought Honky and saw them open for Tool and I guess I just ignored them because there is way to much other music out there to check out every band.  I remember Mombius Hibatchi being cool as hell on MM so I wanted my brother's copy of Honky.  I offered to buy it from him but ended up just giving it to me for free.  I loved it!  I still can't figure out why he hated it so much.  Needless to say I don't trust his taste in music anymore.

Which strangley enough is how I got into High on Fire.  I knew Joe Preston was in them and my friend saw them and said they sucked.  I didn't trust his taste so I downloaded Surrounded by Theives and loved it.  It was a good move.

crow011

"HOSTILE AMBIENT TAKEOVER" . . .

what a great place to start . . .

then i went "THE MAGGOT" and "PIGS OF THE ROMAN EMPIRE" . . .

Funeralopolis

I spent a long time avoiding the Melvins because some rock book I had described them as a 'boy-rock' band, meaning they were dumb guy music for people to headbang to, basically. Then, about 2 years ago, the only record store in my town was having a giant going-out-of-business sale, and the only Melvins album they had left was 'Bullhead' for something like 7 bucks. It had such a badass album cover (with the basket of fruit and all) that I decided to pick it up (it also didn't hurt that my band's drummer at the time gave it his approval as a 'very heavy record.') I was blown away by how ridiculously slow the music was and it instantly changed my style of guitar playing. Obviously the Melvins aren't dumb-guy rock, and I've since bought Houdini, Stoner Witch, Ozma, and downloaded the shit I couldn't find in stores. Still, Bullhead is my favorite because how many songs are there where an evil-sounding dude bellows 'Like somebody took a coat hanger and munched it.' At least, that might be what Buzzo says...

Lung Custard

Crybaby was mine. I still love that album. Weird introduction to Melvins I suppose seeing as it's all guest stars but it grew on me and I still listen to it. I had heard Hooch, Queen and Instant Larry on rock shows before but never got round to buying anything by them.

Idlehanz

Bullhead in jr high.  Friend had it on cassette and I heard it one day and the rest is history.  And it didn't hurt that I lived in Montesano.....At least there were a few other maniacal fans besides myself. 

strutlikejesus

Houdini. Took me awhile to get into it. It's not up there with my fav's.

SchnabelA

Houdini. (Hooch was the reason why I got hooked)

Lysol and Maggot are the favourites today.

Hog log

... what melvins album will you stop with ?

ManWithNoName

Quote from: Hog log on October 04, 2006, 04:32:40 PM
... what melvins album will you stop with ?
melvins/micheal jackson - back to black

glen

Quote from: Hog log on October 04, 2006, 04:32:40 PM
... what melvins album will you stop with ?

ideally,  the one they play at my funeral.
"Glen. You can totally go fuck yourself. I have no idea who you are and I really don't care." - Richie Goodtimes

Glen. You can totally go fuck yourself. I have no idea who you are and I really don't care.
(signed) MAYNARD  JAMES  KEENAN

(PAUL)

And which one would that be? I'd be interested to know what music people were listening to before they discovered the Melvins and how (if at all) their musical tastes have changed since.
Hail, not fail.
PS:  fuck him.

glen

Quote from: PAUL on October 05, 2006, 11:31:22 AM
And which one would that be? I'd be interested to know what music people were listening to before they discovered the Melvins and how (if at all) their musical tastes have changed since.

good question.  what were you listening to when you discovered melvins?   the most popular answer as of late might be tool.   90's it might have been nirvana.   

how about this question: assuming your favorite band is currently melvins, what were your favorite bands building up to the melvins take-over?
"Glen. You can totally go fuck yourself. I have no idea who you are and I really don't care." - Richie Goodtimes

Glen. You can totally go fuck yourself. I have no idea who you are and I really don't care.
(signed) MAYNARD  JAMES  KEENAN

anaconda

I had a lot of strange ones...

KISS
Van Halen
Black Sabbath
Motorhead
Talking Heads
Kraftwerk

glen

Quote from: anaconda on October 05, 2006, 01:23:56 PM
I had a lot of strange ones...

KISS
Van Halen
Black Sabbath
Motorhead
Talking Heads
Kraftwerk

pretty good bands if you ask me.   (historically speaking)  I can see the progression to MELVINS.

going back to about the 7th grade... I'd have to say:

iron maiden
metallica
slayer
sex pistols
butthole surfers
the jesus lizard

off the top of my head.
"Glen. You can totally go fuck yourself. I have no idea who you are and I really don't care." - Richie Goodtimes

Glen. You can totally go fuck yourself. I have no idea who you are and I really don't care.
(signed) MAYNARD  JAMES  KEENAN

norecess

Pixies, Nirvana, Dinosaur Jr, FNM, Ramones, Strokes, Libertines, ATDI and drum & bass. No metal.

Melvins lead me to some stuff like Thrones, Earth, Flipper, but more importantly: an open mind; changed my perspective on music and more.