Colossus of Destiny

Started by Anonymous, July 25, 2003, 10:53:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

0 Members and 6 Guests are viewing this topic.

Joe Deutrom

Crybaby is my least favorite too.

Leroy

Quote from: the bloatI can see how the Crybay is different than other Melvins releases. It just feels different. There is no cohesiveness and so it doesn't really fit into a mood or ever gain any kind of momentum. Songs go from country to some crazy Patton shit and then there's a slow prog song and then some fast metal. It's just all over the place and not in a good way.

I think the Crybaby sucks overall, but it has it's moments.


that's the reason why i dont listen to the crybaby much.  yes the country songs are pretty good, and like you said it has its moments but as a whole, the album leaves much to be desired

blipntime

Divorced, the Bliss Blood song, and the Foetus song are all awesome. The rest can take a hike. Which is too bad, I had really looked forward to the David Yow stuff.

MrJunkie

As far as I'm concerned the Dale penned "Divorce" is the reason to listen to the album. The rest is just filler. Good Melvin-ny filler. But filler nonetheless.
"joe s preston esquire"

klump

what is what, depends on taste (and lack of it).

rhett E rock

i think this album is pretty valid.  not my favorite.  but yeah, "Divorced" is one of my all-time favorite songs.  the Hank Williams III, Skeleton Key, Bliss Blood and Mike Patton songs are good.  the Nirvana cover, well, i can take it or leave it.  it's alright.  i think the album is pretty damn good.  i love that sample, "fuck sobriety..."  fucking hilarious.  the Foetus song sucks in my opinion.

i know i asked this before, but i couldn't find what topic i posted it in.  doesn't the Foetus song sound a lot like "Prig"?

Dr Geek

I don't think the Foetus one sounds like Prig at all. Prig is happy and upbeat and Mine Is No Disgrace is slow and not upbeat at all.

Personally I love the Crybaby. All the guest vocalists did great, well, except Leif, but the Melvins didn't expect him to be great, it was just something funny to them. I've been listening to it a lot, one of my favourites.

rhett E rock

the drumbeat sounds almost identical.

Fantomastro

I must say, that I only listend to cod 2 times.
But I will give it another chance, so I put it in my cd-player and listen to it NOW!

I can't imagine, that it will be my favorite melvins album, but I respect the melvins for releasing such a weird record. These guys have guts!
As I listend to it for the first time, I wasn't sure if this were really the Melvins. Thought there was a wrong CD in the case
COD is a kind of a "put a melvins fan to the test, if they're really love the unconventionally about the melvins". Either you love it, or you hate it.

But a few questions came over me as I listend to this album:

Did someone see the show, or a similar? How many people left the show after 30min? Was the show supposed to be a "normal Melvins show" (whatsoever this means).
I really had loved to see the faces of the audience, who was waiting for a "normal melvins song"  :D


and to be on/off topic(??)
crybaby is ok. a few songs kicks ass and a few songs are...well they're ok.
I listen to GI Joe the most. The sounds are so fkcunig awsome...

TGH

Quote from: Fantomastro

Did someone see the show, or a similar? How many people left the show after 30min? Was the show supposed to be a "normal Melvins show" (whatsoever this means).
I really had loved to see the faces of the audience, who was waiting for a "normal melvins song"  :D

I think somewhere on this site it mentions they did a full "Melvins" set after COD.

Ah.

"i was there. it was about an hour and then it turned into eye flys. it was so loud most people were holding their ears. my friends were lying on the floor in agony, only to be revived by an AMAZING second set. Dale was playing his set with the Ozma covers on the bass drum. anyway, it had Adam from Tool, it was just tons of noise, Dale had a guitar and a keyboard I think, Kevin had his back to us the whole time, I don't remember what Buzz was doing. it was basically just the loudest thing ever, pure noise. I can't imagine what it will sound like on CD, and if you'd ever want to listen to it more than once. I'll buy it of course. first time I saw them with Adam. I didn't know who he was and yelled and pointed "Who is that guy?" right before the 2nd night's set started and Buzz said "I don't know, I thought maybe you did." then the noise started."
This isn't a time for lectures!

Shanghai Satellite

They performed COD under the name "Noiseland Arcade", which is from the Simpsons of course. Let's hope Noiseland Arcade releases more stuff.

Leroy

I listened to COD again.  It's better this time around.   They should release "COD 2" which is the second half of their set.  


Or any type of live album from shows within the last couple years, which would have their newer material.  Not that their old stuff is bad by any means, but there are already 4 official live releases from shows in the 90's (Fuckers Club, Your Choice, COD, Salad).  It would be nice for a pro-sounding new live cd.

Vcavallo

don't forget millennium monsterwork...sorta fits, no?
Vinney "only takes 15 years to make good on his promises" Cavallo

Leroy

yeah i guess you're right.  but it would still be nice to have an even newer official live cd or dvd that's longer too.  the melvins are a really tight band live so the more the merrier.

Fantomastro

Quote from: Leroyyeah i guess you're right.  but it would still be nice to have an even newer official live cd or dvd that's longer too.  the melvins are a really tight band live so the more the merrier.
there are so many unofficial concerts around, with, in some cases, better sound and vision than on soatd. so why you want to have an official?
Ok, a newer concert with perfect sound and vision, nice artwork and bonus material would be great :)

Quote from: TGH
I think somewhere on this site it mentions they did a full "Melvins" set after COD.

Ah.

"i was there. it was about an hour and then it turned into eye flys. it was so loud most people were holding their ears. my friends were lying on the floor in agony, only to be revived by an AMAZING second set. Dale was playing his set with the Ozma covers on the bass drum. anyway, it had Adam from Tool, it was just tons of noise, Dale had a guitar and a keyboard I think, Kevin had his back to us the whole time, I don't remember what Buzz was doing. it was basically just the loudest thing ever, pure noise. I can't imagine what it will sound like on CD, and if you'd ever want to listen to it more than once. I'll buy it of course. first time I saw them with Adam. I didn't know who he was and yelled and pointed "Who is that guy?" right before the 2nd night's set started and Buzz said "I don't know, I thought maybe you did." then the noise started."
This must have been a hell of a concert. Yeah, a second part of COD would be fine. Or better, a more controlled noise concert. I don't know...someting like the beginning of the fool, the meddling idiot or goggles...more melodic. You know what I mean?