Some unexpected press.

Started by mopafeena, November 02, 2006, 12:06:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mopafeena

I was totally freaked out and surprised and perplexed all at the same time today.

A bit of background info:

One of our major newspapers here, the Herald Sun, has a weekly liftout on Thursdays called Hit. It's like a music/entertainment sort of thing. To give you a bit of an idea about what's in it, today's single reviews were of singles by Nick Lachey, Paris Hilton and Pussycat Dolls. It also had a big article on one of the guys behind the Saw movies.

Ok, here's where the melvins relevance comes in. It has a quiz on the back page, basically 10 entertainment industry related questions. I do this quiz each week out of pure boredom. Anyway, today i was going through it and was up to question 7 which was:

Which cult band's line-up once included the daughter of screen star Shirley Temple?

I nearly wet myself and burst out laughing all at the same time. What made it even more funny/odd was at the exact moment i finished reading it there was a massive clap of thunder that shook my house.
www.myspace.com/mopafeena
www.myspace.com/afeenaband

Vcavallo

i peed on myself reading this just now.

or was that an orgasm?

have i gone too far?  i go to sleep now.  bye
Vinney "only takes 15 years to make good on his promises" Cavallo

bUTTHOLEmAN

Quote from: Vcavallo on November 02, 2006, 12:27:50 AM
i peed on myself reading this just now.

I prefer depends, the adult size.
if you CALL ME ON MY CELLY
i'll LET YOU RUB ME BELLY!

"I can push over twelve year old girls easy." - Fart
kill yr idols
emperors wear no clothes
"We don't have alot of information right now, but for all we know monkeys might fly out of my butt"- rictus

Idlehanz

Quote from: mopafeena on November 02, 2006, 12:06:12 AM
I was totally freaked out and surprised and perplexed all at the same time today.

A bit of background info:

One of our major newspapers here, the Herald Sun, has a weekly liftout on Thursdays called Hit. It's like a music/entertainment sort of thing. To give you a bit of an idea about what's in it, today's single reviews were of singles by Nick Lachey, Paris Hilton and Pussycat Dolls. It also had a big article on one of the guys behind the Saw movies.

Ok, here's where the melvins relevance comes in. It has a quiz on the back page, basically 10 entertainment industry related questions. I do this quiz each week out of pure boredom. Anyway, today i was going through it a was up to question 7 which was:

Which cult band's line-up once included the daughter of screen star Shirley Temple?

I nearly wet myself and burst out laughing all at the same time. What made it even more funny/odd was at the exact moment i finished reading it there was a massive clap of thunder that shook my house.

This reminds me, weren't the Melvins part of some Jeapordy question years ago? 

norecess

Quote from: mopafeena on November 02, 2006, 12:06:12 AM

Haha, great. Thanks for sharing, I love these sort of facts. Only when I tell them to other people, they seem to be far less excited about it than me.

Michael Jordan

That's so funny Mop. I was actually reading Hit today during my break at work but never really looked at the questions...  read some of that "Saw" article  (and of course the "pussycat dolls" (who?) review)...   :D

btw, do u know if there was any review of ASA on either Beat or Inpress?
Why say no to drugs when you can say yes?

mopafeena

Quote from: Michael Jordan on November 02, 2006, 04:52:47 AM
That's so funny Mop. I was actually reading Hit today during my break at work but never really looked at the questions...

Michael Jordan

Quote from: mopafeena on November 02, 2006, 05:29:08 AM
Quote from: Michael Jordan on November 02, 2006, 04:52:47 AM
That's so funny Mop. I was actually reading Hit today during my break at work but never really looked at the questions...  read some of that "Saw" article  (and of course the "pussycat dolls" (who?) review)...   :D

btw, do u know if there was any review of ASA on either Beat or Inpress?

I'm not sure. I know one of the writers for inpress so i could ask him when i speak to him next. he should know. Not sure about Beat. You'd think that they would both probally have something about it in them. I remember Beat did an interview with them last time they toured so....

I picked up the last 2-3 issues but couldn't see anything.  I thought they'd at least have an album review or something but NADA!  or maybe I just missed it, I don't know...

I remember about 3-4 years ago either beat or inpress had a special edition where the writers chose their favourite albums for the year, best shows they saw that year etc, and this one dude had H.A.T in his fav albums and chose Melvins @ Cherry bar (both nghts) as his fav shows   (and for a damn good reason!)
Why say no to drugs when you can say yes?

mopafeena

Chuck Hartford

This is funnier...

QuoteA string of best-selling albums and singles, including the long players "Houdini" and "Stoner Witch" on Atlantic, have provided the Melvins with monies to fund a chain of inner-city hospices and halfway houses for unwed teenage mothers. With proceeds from their most recent Mammoth/Atlantic release, "Stag," these musical philanthropists had hoped to establish a scholarship foundation for children spawned and abandoned by touring rocker hard-ons.

mopafeena

Quote from: Chuck Hartford on November 02, 2006, 06:21:16 AM
This is funnier...

QuoteA string of best-selling albums and singles, including the long players "Houdini" and "Stoner Witch" on Atlantic, have provided the Melvins with monies to fund a chain of inner-city hospices and halfway houses for unwed teenage mothers. With proceeds from their most recent Mammoth/Atlantic release, "Stag," these musical philanthropists had hoped to establish a scholarship foundation for children spawned and abandoned by touring rocker hard-ons.

haha, i remember that being sent out years ago on the old melvins yahoo group.  :lol:

(PAUL)

Yeah, that's the press release for Stag, right?
Hail, not fail.
PS:  fuck him.

Vcavallo

congratulations Mopafeena, you are the proud owner of the FIRST fact on the really pointless melvins fact-sheet:

WHICH CAN BE FOUND HERE (but don't bother)
Vinney "only takes 15 years to make good on his promises" Cavallo

Mash

Quote from: Michael Jordan on November 02, 2006, 05:58:54 AM

I picked up the last 2-3 issues but couldn't see anything.  I thought they'd at least have an album review or something but NADA!  or maybe I just missed it, I don't know...

Hey fellow Melvin-lovin-Melburnians.
Nah, definitely no ASA review yet .... I'm a bit of a religious reader of Beat & Inpress, I woulda noticed it.

rimb

Quote from: thelasttoknow on November 02, 2006, 03:12:17 PM
Quote from: Michael Jordan on November 02, 2006, 05:58:54 AM

Hey fellow Melvin-lovin-Melburnians.
Nah, definitely no ASA review yet .... I'm a bit of a religious reader of Beat & Inpress, I woulda noticed it.

Ditto.

I thought for a minute there, mopafeena was going to tell us that ASA was reviewed in HiT!