Melvins Videos Thread (and much more)

Started by norecess, July 26, 2007, 12:43:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Oscar

Quote from: ))))(((( on September 09, 2022, 02:46:43 PM
'A History Of Bad Men' is interesting to see Steven sing it instead of Jared

Kill me for this but he sounds awful.

Plus he still manages to make older material sound increasingly goofy. I could get over the grating shouts and hypeman antics but his tasteless overplaying doesn't serve the songs at all. Dude has no idea when to lay out.

))))((((

Quote from: Oscar on September 10, 2022, 05:29:11 PM

Plus he still manages to make older material sound increasingly goofy. I could get over the grating shouts and hypeman antics but his tasteless overplaying doesn't serve the songs at all. Dude has no idea when to lay out.
Honestly i couldn't quite tell what was going on vocally in that video. I can't tell if Dale is singing along too which gives it an odd dynamic. But yeah Steven does seem to struggle seemingly trying to sing it how Jared did. The whole stage antics thing i think i am getting a bit used to now. I don't really like it but i do feel used to it. I'm not sure if that is a good thing or not. I always find it quite cringy when in points he will suddenly and needlessly shout out "KING BUZZOOOO!!!".

I tend not to focus on bass much with bands. I usually just simply don't really "hear" it. But watching that show again and listening out for Steven's bass i can really see what you mean about the overplaying. It's evident on virtually every song. I wonder if that was one of Buzzo's things - asking him to do what he pleases because i never recall him doing that before with Off!. Plus the recorded material with Steven tends to be more fitting. Probably just a live thing.

PepsiMike

Quote from: Oscar on September 10, 2022, 05:29:11 PM

I'm not sure about awful, but I can see what you mean. Nice guy, I'm glad the Melvins team all get along, but- yeah.

black stallion

i don't think A History of Bad Man sounds awful, even though it's not   Jared obviously. I agree about his overplaying sometime and i agree also about the old material,i think you have not to change things when they work. That Sacrifice bass line  :facepalm:
Charmicarmicat:Bastards

black stallion

Charmicarmicat:Bastards

Oscar

Exactly, Sacrifice is what did it for me. Same thing he does with Eye Flys. Trills and RAWK slides when the song demands the opposite.

I'm all for letting musicians (over)play, but that approach suggests that the musician has a taste level that doesn't make the overplaying overbearing.
Take Trevor for example - he's all over every Melvins record he's on but Trevor has feel.

I'm happy for them that they seem to be the happiest they've ever been on stage - especially after a long break from shows - but for the first time in 15+ years I'm not sure if I'll go see them next time they're close. I can't fucking stomach Charlie live anymore let alone the rest of this tired set.

CoryCory

Digging into that video a bit and some thoughts...

- That live version of Sacrifice sounds closer to the version that was recorded on Hot Fish (Yecch!) and I don't like the more up-tempo version of Sacrifice at all. I can see the overplaying a bit. I actually didn't mind it in 2018 with "Eye Flys" but they also had Pinkus to bounce off as well.
- On that note imagine if they did the Endless Residency sets with Steven.
- A History of Bad Men is weird with Steven leading vocally, like he can get loud enough for the key parts but his voice isn't "deep" enough like Jared's to make it work. At least Dale is absolutely killing it on that song.
- Charlie is kind of tiresome to hear and feels weirdly out of place, but I get it on account of a song from one of Steven's bands. Begs the question if Pinkus stayed around for the long haul, would we be saying "I don't want to hear Graveyard anymore."?
- Mister Dog is Totally Right rules at the very least.
- Can confirm Steven was kind of reigned in for OFF! but it's hard to be an over the top showman when all of your songs are a minute each and the band has a definitive lead singer.

I like Steven as a bassist and he just strikes me as this antsy, weirdo dude but I can understand his goofy personality and showman live persona being off-putting. Then again the BB lineup did add their own bits of silliness to some older songs too.

A friend of mine texted me and asked if I was seeing them in town on the 22nd and told him I'm missing it due to work. Seen em' in Covington and that's good enough for this year, really. Not the hat trick I was expecting with missing them in my hometown the last three years they've been here but I'll roll with it, I suppose.

amazonAMAZON

Steven is just a different player. I told him when I saw him first play with the Melvins that it was just a whole new Melvins. He's a very physical player with a lot of energy. I like this rendition. Even if he flubs one fill. So could all of them every once in a while. Steven is more haphazard than anyone since maybe Lori. But I love that dynamism. Look in the crowd, people are nodding along. The video doesn't do the sound justice. When he's on stage he really captures people. I still listen to the old records and I love those performances and I love all the shows I've seen (bb, pinkus, Steven, Trevor, PAT)). I just don't expect from now on to see a band that isn't playing that night. I'm there to see the Melvins. Can you imagine hearing Lysol now if you're thirteen years old. And going to see the Melvins at a perfect little rock club. And you hear this "Sacrifice" I swear you will be going nuts.

Oscar

Quote from: amazonAMAZON on September 12, 2022, 01:37:29 AM
Can you imagine hearing Lysol now if you're thirteen years old. And going to see the Melvins at a perfect little rock club. And you hear this "Sacrifice" I swear you will be going nuts.

That's what I'm starting to realize, this iteration is for a different generation of fans. Didn't think I'd hit this point in my early 30s but here we are.

I agree with what y'all are saying, but I can't go along with the Big Business comparisons. Those guys were Melvins fans who were asked to join the band. This time, Melvins are fans of Steven (Redd Kross by extension) and asked him to join. By that token, BB brought a level of reverence to the material as well as injecting their own style and sense of humour into the music. It's obviously all a matter of taste, but this era feels the least Melvins to me personally.

PepsiMike

How many iterations exist? I'd say things changed noticeably after nude with boots, and changed more after 2015, 2016.

Bigval

Quote from: PepsiMike on September 12, 2022, 06:44:32 PM
How many iterations exist? I'd say things changed noticeably after nude with boots, and changed more after 2015, 2016.

Steven appears to essentially have become the permanent bass player from when he joined around 2015. Working with God was just a one off album with no touring, Dunn doesn't work with the band anymore nor Pinkus since the PAT shows with Steven in 2018. I always assumed when they released the Basses Loaded compilation that that was the full stop on the revolving door bass player era.

amazonAMAZON

Dunn still appears on records, such as the Flipper EP. But yeah, seems likely Steven is the last regular bassist for the touring trio.

Bigval

Quote from: amazonAMAZON on September 12, 2022, 09:01:15 PM
Dunn still appears on records, such as the Flipper EP.

When did that come out? I don't pay much attention to the dinky little EP's and singles they release through AmRep. Chances are it was probably recorded during the Freak Puke sessions anyway, I remember Buzz saying at the time they recorded about 40-50 songs with Dunn and as far as I'm aware I don't think they've recorded with him since.

amazonAMAZON

Melvins / Flipper 'Hot Fish' EP was 2019.

That's kind of nuts if you don't keep up with those AmRep EPs. There's two albums worth of non-album material since 2018 on vinyl and cheapy CDs (mostly covers and collabs)

Bigval

Quote from: amazonAMAZON on September 13, 2022, 01:30:20 AM
Melvins / Flipper 'Hot Fish' EP was 2019.

That's kind of nuts if you don't keep up with those AmRep EPs. There's two albums worth of non-album material since 2018 on vinyl and cheapy CDs (mostly covers and collabs)

Generally I'm not interested in music I can't buy and I don't have a record player either those things are more for vinyl collectors than the music that's actually on them like you said a lot of covers and what not and the best stuff just ends up on the mainstream albums anyway.