A little story + Melvins compilation

Started by Erikkerik, January 31, 2008, 04:34:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Erikkerik

The other day I played Melvins for my personal counsellor as there was some references to music in the text we were talking about and I was wearing  a melvins shirt, this guy is an accomplished swedish writer and intellectual and in his sixtys, I had expected he`d return the headset after 30 seconds or so, but he sat and listened to the full 8 minutes of Boris and absolutely loved it and now he wants more. He asked if they had classical training and listed a bunch of minimalistic composers he thought they was inspired by, but I told him no and that their background was punk. Also, it opened up a whole new view on my texts for him, as he said "I now understand your esthetics", I`ve been aware that this kind of music is an inspiriation for my writings for a long time, but I was surprised it was that obvious. 
Anyway: Now I`m burning him a compilation of some of my favourites. Here`s the list:
1. Air breather deep in the arms of morpheus.
2. Isabella
3. Lovely butterfly
4. Berthas
5. Hung bunny
6. Roman bird dog
7. Black book
8. Pure digital silence
9. The fool, the meddling idiot
10. The bloated pope
11. Boris
12. The anti vermin seed.

I`ve always enjoyed making disks like this for friends etc. Have any of you ever made a "best of" mevins disc? What would it look like if you did?

I have brought the great ball of crystal;
            Who can lift it?
Can you enter the great acorn of light?
But the beauty is not the madness
Tho' my errors and wrecks lie about me.
And I am not a demigod,
I cannot make it cohere.

dwr budr

Isabella is one song that the new line-up should be playing live!  Such an amazing song...

rimb

Quote from: dwr budr on January 31, 2008, 05:16:55 AM
Isabella is one song that the new line-up should be playing live!  Such an amazing song...

Good call.

Have any of the songs from the solo albums ever been played live?

samo

Well if you are including Berthas (one of my favs also) how can you not include captain pungent, they go hand in hand.  Also going down this route Skin Horse is genius!  It needs to be on there.

glen

"Glen. You can totally go fuck yourself. I have no idea who you are and I really don't care." - Richie Goodtimes

Glen. You can totally go fuck yourself. I have no idea who you are and I really don't care.
(signed) MAYNARD  JAMES  KEENAN

Erikkerik

Quote from: samo on January 31, 2008, 08:32:04 AM
Well if you are including Berthas (one of my favs also) how can you not include captain pungent, they go hand in hand.  Also going down this route Skin Horse is genius!  It needs to be on there.

Of course there are dozens of songs I would have loved to make room for, but alas a cd can only be 80 minutes long
            Who can lift it?
And I am not a demigod,
I cannot make it cohere.

glen

Quote from: Erikkerik on January 31, 2008, 10:27:55 AM

Of course there are dozens of songs I would have loved to make room for, but alas a cd can only be 80 minutes long

double cd!  double cd!
"Glen. You can totally go fuck yourself. I have no idea who you are and I really don't care." - Richie Goodtimes

Glen. You can totally go fuck yourself. I have no idea who you are and I really don't care.
(signed) MAYNARD  JAMES  KEENAN

Michael Jordan

Quote from: glen on January 31, 2008, 10:58:42 AM
Quote from: Erikkerik on January 31, 2008, 10:27:55 AM

double cd!  double cd!

Agreed! Choosing only 12 melvins songs is like asking a mom to choose between her children.
Why say no to drugs when you can say yes?

Mount Ambulance

When I first met & lived w/ a good friend of mine 6yrs. ago in teachers' college he thought
the majority of my fave music was from another planet ... we agreed on a few things ... but ...
His notion of heavy extends to RATM ... & experimental to Tool ... which were actually his
favorite band. I used this as ammo to plug Melvins ... which he heard me play alot, and he actually
took a liking to (thou he was completely dumbfounded by alot of it ... the tv static hum in 'electro'
tipping the lion had him thinking the stereo was on the fritz!) Anyhow, when we got home a yr. later
I made him a comp. I pulled mostly from the albums he heard me play ... & a real bent towards
the more "rawk" side of things ... things he would "get" ... hopefully ... I had plans to do more for
him upping the weird factor on each ... but ... I'm lazy ...

here's what it had:

Toy
Agonizer
Black Stooges (drum intro)
Black Stooges
Honey Bucket
Ever Since My Accident
Road Bull
Prig (acoustic half)
Queen
Raise A Paw
Sweet Willy Rollbar
Mobius Hibachi
Pitfalls of Serving Warrants
Hide
Bar X
Revolve
At The Stake
Revolve (electro-version)
The Horn Bearer
Going Blind
Love Thing
Oven
Goose Freight Train
At A Crawl
Lovely Butterfly (electro-version)
Brain Centers At Whipples
Toy (quite outro reprise)
It was a big night out on the town for the Id and the Reptile Brain ...

like a brick wall, like a dream waiting to be!

norecess

Quote from: Erikkerik on January 31, 2008, 04:34:40 AM
Have any of you ever made a "best of" mevins disc? What would it look like if you did?

I have never made a best of. If I would make one for a friend as an introduction my choices would totally depend on the person I'm composing it for.

Erikkerik

Quote from: norecess on February 01, 2008, 05:39:33 AM
If I would make one for a friend as an introduction my choices would totally depend on the person I'm composing it for.

Good point and when you mention it it is obvious to me that I did so in the above list. "Best of" is ofcourse a silly term.
            Who can lift it?
And I am not a demigod,
I cannot make it cohere.