The Melvins Classifieds: SALES, AUCTIONS, and TRADES.

Started by Idlehanz, February 21, 2008, 07:22:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

PepsiMike

The big problem with shirt flippers is, they count on people not knowing the real value of the shirts they have.

Dumpster D

Quote from: PepsiMike on March 14, 2023, 02:05:51 PM
The big problem with shirt flippers is, they count on people not knowing the real value of the shirts they have.

"There's one born every minute" is the motto they live by.

I was browsing a vintage flight jacket forum the other night, wow Someone showed up with a Flight Jacket they claimed came from a thrift store...So he wanted it appraised by his second post, and as soon as he asked what it might be worth, the board members instantly tore him to pieces!!!! (They get that sort of thing like once a week from a 'new member')  But I mean REALLY REALLY laced into him, for all it was worth. Told him to STFU and Get off the board immediately etc etc.

at first I was like like woah! but soon realized they totally called it out.

"Not even a please or thank you" was the first reply to the seller from another long time board member, the others immediately chimed in harmony like a close knit community.... and it just went from there for three or four pages back and fourth and the flipper eventually gives himself away for the type of person he truly is with his snide remarks and glib attitude.

they really knew it was just another classic ebay flipper straight away.

Anyway the seller flipped the Jacket on ebay for a premium and was being a bit of a pinky to the other board members who basically told him to GTFO immediately.

Melvins merch, vintage flight jackets, whatever...Internet prices are just obscene and out of control in general.

Most people are smart enough to do their own research on what things are actually worth though.

But yeah, I don't want people like that sharking around the messages boards driving prices up on stuff I Like. Especially if they're Just here to flip my own collection back to me for like 3 times what it's worth!

vince furnier

in the Sonic Youth group, i don't have so much control and people were joining and begging for shirts for their "poor ol dad, who could never buy that stuff back in the 90s because he was working his way through college with a family to feed, yadda yadda...." the same shirt was sold to the new member for $20 or $40 and immediately listed on ePay for $600, which they got.  ](*,) :disagree:

i'm done being nice to these fuggers. you join and immediately beg for shirts, you're toast!  :twisted:
Welcome to my Nightmare!
inbox is currently 82% full. TEAMWORK MAKES THE DREAM WORK!
"uh no, but we do know that meezer is vince furnier" - brian

^^^^ That. And That. All of the above following my last comment up about 8 posts.
That's why I posted it. Sorry, but that post above looking for shirts reads to me like the signs I see in in various places that say "we buy houses", etc....
There's two ways to make money: earn it, or leech off someone else's efforts, data, etc.
When I hear someone say " I want to buy your stuff", I hear someone who wants to profit off of my investments, to put it politely.
There are words for those kinds of people, but I can't say them in front of my grandkids.

Dumpster D

Yea this is a long post, I know, but this is a good subject.

I've got a mint Nirvana 'Sliver' T that I was given back in  school from our Drummer who had an extra one he had and for some reason passed it on to me if I wanted to have it. Sure! I'll take anything as long as it's free.

It's brand new, never worn. I haven't listened to Nirvana in more than 20 years, and have this unspoken dislike towards typical Nirvana fans in general. (That's a whole other topic)

I see those going for F-off prices bigtime, but will never cash in.

Same with the Dead Kennedy's Shirts too.

Had a vintage clothing picker go through my collection a few times and hose me for all I was worth and I learned to live with it...but when they were after my T-shirt stash, no way...I sold everything else I didn't want to sell for less than I wanted to sell it for, but not the Shirts. They can't have those at any price.

There's a bit of a thing about the T-shirts, the ones where you had to actually 'Be there' to get one.

There's a bit of a status thing that goes with that, I'm not quite sure how to define.

One example I can think of off the top:

I used to do roofing with an older crackhead guy who once wore his original Ozzy Bark at the moon T-shirt to work, it was faded and worn thin...I was like 'dude that thing is a collectors item now are you sure you want to wear it working it to death?' and he kinda was like 'I got this shirt at the concert back in 198- on that tour' and I don't know he just didn't care about the collectors value as much as his own personal pride in wearing it as a reminder of the good times...something like that.

He still wears it out, like it's the most non-poser thing ever.

You remember your first concert.

I duno, back to my original thing about Keeping my T-shirts...I couldn't sell them, but I don't know what it was that little voice in my head and this feeling of like...No, you can't have the T-shirts...not the shirts.

I don't have a lot of band shirts or anything even, most of them are vintage 70's 80's ones I picked up at the thrift stores that are too precious to let other people wear out, you know? They'll just get trashed if someone doesn't save them.

At that point you're not putting a price on things, it goes far beyond that.

"Back off!! Get your own Sandwich!!!"  :x

amazonAMAZON

Yeah there's a few t-shirts from mysicandevents that are getting too ratty to wear around anymore. My first Melvins shirt and the Ewun hand silkscreen with the Notorious BIG image on it come to mind.

I'm taking up enough space with my CDs and now records. I can't start stashing unwearable shirts. But I also have no desire to sell them.

I've considered cutting out the surviving design into a square and iron-adhesive or sewing it onto like a black zip up hoodie or a tote bag. I don't know though I haven't had the guts to delve into it yet. Thoughts?

I've done that a few times; no regrets. After that, if I die and someone wants to sell my hand-cobbled patched together threads for big bucks, I could care less. But if I'm still breathing, it's mine. My memories, for my enjoyment.

Quote from: amazonAMAZON on March 15, 2023, 10:01:46 PM
Yeah there's a few t-shirts from mysicandevents that are getting too ratty to wear around anymore. My first Melvins shirt and the Ewun hand silkscreen with the Notorious BIG image on it come to mind.

I'm taking up enough space with my CDs and now records. I can't start stashing unwearable shirts. But I also have no desire to sell them.

I've considered cutting out the surviving design into a square and iron-adhesive or sewing it onto like a black zip up hoodie or a tote bag. I don't know though I haven't had the guts to delve into it yet. Thoughts?

Dumpster D

My rules with vintage stuff is 'don't do anything unless you have to'

Recycling my old T's? I have some Ratty old ones too, I thought the same, maybe do something with them.

I haven't been able to bring myself to do it either.

jules

The two Deep Six test pressings up on Discogs at the moment are scams. Seller RosalynEustace (formerly TinaGonzalesMusic) will not make you happy.

Hey there - I don't know if this is the case here, or if it's something else, but recently I've run into a few different sellers on discogs whose accounts had been hacked, and apparently someone else was listing the legit items, but with bogus re-directed account / payment info. It seems this has been going around a bit, so for the time being, if anyone is interested in buying something through a discogs seller, it might be a really good idea to establish some direct contact with the seller before committing to anything. Otherwise, if the hackers are fast enough, they could get your money before anyone at discogs is able to shut down the hacked accounts. Apparently it's getting to be a bit of a thing over there. Maybe they are just too easy to hack, or something, but proceed with caution.

• • • •

Quote from: jules on March 21, 2023, 04:57:25 PM
The two Deep Six test pressings up on Discogs at the moment are scams. Seller RosalynEustace (formerly TinaGonzalesMusic) will not make you happy.

PepsiMike

Quote from: jules on March 21, 2023, 04:57:25 PM
The two Deep Six test pressings up on Discogs will not make you happy.
:( I want to be happy!

FartLips

Quote from: 01001010 on March 12, 2023, 07:02:45 PM
I kind of pulled back from letting go of my old tour shirts when I set up shop at the regional record conventions, because I've learned that at least some of the peeps who buy them turn around and sell 'em for ridiculous amounts of money on ebay. I thought I was being a nice guy, by selling old shirts I wasn't going to wear any more, at reasonable prices, so someone else could actually enjoy them for a while, like I did. Even at bargain prices, there was one guy in particular at a record show in Eugene who kept trying to wheedle my already cheap prices down to nothing. Later, I figured out why. Lesson learned. I'd sooner give 'em to my grandkids than let some flipper scalp me and than make a mint off my wares.
'Wears'  :wink:
Quote from: JASONALEXANDER on March 08, 2024, 11:35:21 PM
Brilliant story, Ian!  :lol:  :lol: And what harm has Ian ever done to Fart that he deserves to be harrassed no matter what he writes, even when it's funny and brilliant as fuck? Digger > Nigger and an Fuck > Shut!  :lol:

That account has been flagged in a 17-page thread related to the avalanche of hijacked seller accounts on the discogs site.

Seriously, I would not buy *anything* through discogs until the admins regain control over the security of their site.

The admins started doing a lot of *updates* to the site a short time back, and most of them appear to be oriented toward the marketplace (as opposed to the actual database itself, which has continued to get worse).

Unfortunately, right around the same time, a shitstorm of compromised seller accounts started appearing on everyone's radar. Not too hard to hard to do the math on that one. especially since at least some of the Project Owners for the site updates are no longer with the company (yes, this is actually true).

The patterns for compromised accounts appears to follow the same pattern as with the Melvins set - expensive multi-disc sets now suddenly available for under $100. The hackers aren't really geniuses, obviously, just bottom feeders taking advantage of the dumbed-down social media updates to the site.

Be careful.

• • • •

Quote from: PepsiMike on April 09, 2023, 08:09:42 AM
:facepalm:
https://www.discogs.com/sell/item/2474920868

Obviously a scam, please don't buy

bUTTHOLEmAN

if you CALL ME ON MY CELLY
i'll LET YOU RUB ME BELLY!

"I can push over twelve year old girls easy." - Fart
kill yr idols
emperors wear no clothes
"We don't have alot of information right now, but for all we know monkeys might fly out of my butt"- rictus