Do the Melvins play on John Zorn's Leng Tch'e CD (1992)

Started by HogLegged, March 05, 2008, 02:23:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

HogLegged

Hello, everyone, this is my first post. For the longest time I have had a cassette that someone made for me called "Leng Tch'e". They told me it was a collaboration between John Zorn, The Melvins, and Mike Patton. It is one long 1/2 hour track. The guitar sound is very Melvinsish, and I'd swear the vocals are by Mike Patton. But recently I looked up John Zorn on Wikipedia, and this album is listed as a Naked City release, and the credits don't list Melvins or Patton as playing on it, but they are thanked at the bottom. Anyone have anymore information on this? Thanks.

norecess

It's a Naked City album, and you can consider it a tribute to the Melvins' Lysol. Patton and the Melvins get a 'thank you' on the album.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fVxUqDzOGDQ
A live video with Kevin Sharp.

(PAUL)

The vocals on the studio version are Zorn. If you look up Leng Tch'e, it (depends on who you ask) either means 100 cuts or 1000 cuts, and is a way that the chinese used to execute people of hideous crimes. The people were given large amounts of opium to extend their life. If you look at the artwork, you can see the last public execution by leng tch'e, with the victim sporting a smile on his face despite the fact that he is missing several limbs. More information can be found at http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Slow_slicing
But to answer your question, Patton and the Melvins don't play on it, they are just thanked. I do believe there are bootlegs where Patton does vocals on live versions, if you are interested in tracking those down.
Hail, not fail.
PS:  fuck him.

norecess

No, it's Yamataka Eye on vocals. Maybe Zorn does some back up screaming but it's mainly Eye.

___-----_____------_____

Beauty is a Rare Thing - Ornette Coleman

(PAUL)

Quote from: norecess on March 05, 2008, 06:08:23 PM
No, it's Yamataka Eye on vocals. Maybe Zorn does some back up screaming but it's mainly Eye.

WHAT??? I'll have to check at home but I thought he wasn't on the studio version.

Edit: I apologize sir, you are correct. I do however have some conflicting information regarding the release date. The insert to the cd with the box set says it was released in 1992 on the Hips Road label, while the book that comes with the box set says that it was originally released in 1990 on the Toys Factory record label. Either way I was always under the impression that Leng Tch'e actually came out before Lysol.
Hail, not fail.

(PAUL)

Hail, not fail.

norecess

Quote from: ___-----_____------_____ on March 05, 2008, 07:14:31 PM
Edit: I apologize sir, you are correct. I do however have some conflicting information regarding the release date. The insert to the cd with the box set says it was released in 1992 on the Hips Road label, while the book that comes with the box set says that it was originally released in 1990 on the Toys Factory record label. Either way I was always under the impression that Leng Tch'e actually came out before Lysol.

Nah, you can clearly hear they're tributing the first part of Lysol. And those Japanese vocals are an easy one to spot ;)

I got the black box, btw, with Torture Garden. Or, my g/f does.

(PAUL)

Quote from: norecess on March 06, 2008, 04:06:16 AM
Quote from: ___-----_____------_____ on March 05, 2008, 07:14:31 PM

Nah, you can clearly hear they're tributing the first part of Lysol. And those Japanese vocals are an easy one to spot ;)

I got the black box, btw, with Torture Garden. Or, my g/f does.

I had that till I got the box set then I gave it to a friend of mine. Good stuff. Have you heard the song Grand Guignol? Sounds like Delerium Cordia mini (since it's 17 minutes long, not 74).
Hail, not fail.

JJ

I just took a boo at the black box copy in my little collection.....

Thank you patton, The Melvins....   I never even looked at the damn credits until now.....wild.....