themelvins.net bbs

MELVINS => Melvins Discussion => Topic started by: buddy holiday on April 29, 2016, 01:27:55 AM

Title: Melvins Interview - Vinyl Talk With The Melvins
Post by: buddy holiday on April 29, 2016, 01:27:55 AM
http://vinyljunkies.co/vinyl-talk-melvins/
Title: Re: Melvins Interview - Vinyl Talk With The Melvins
Post by: Bigval on April 29, 2016, 03:00:44 AM
QuoteYet, you've always made a point of making most of your catalog available on vinyl, including some limited edition pressings, on Amphetamine Reptile Records. It's really frustrating to see those get snapped up by flippers and immediately resold.

Dale: But the music is out there, on the internet.

Buzz: This stuff is not as valuable as people imagine it to be.  Let's look at it this way: we've had these (War Pussy10") available at the show, during the entire tour. We've been selling them for $40 apiece, cheaper than you'll find them anywhere else.  On this tour, we've played to thousands of people and still can't sell more than a few dozen of these. You can walk up to the merch booth right now and buy as many of these as you'd like.

Dale: And you can flip 'em (laughs)

:lol:
Title: Re: Melvins Interview - Vinyl Talk With The Melvins
Post by: Chief Ten Beers on April 29, 2016, 05:14:30 PM
 I'm sort of glad they're not selling many of the AmRep singles on the tours lately. Those AmRep vinyl items are targeted to hardcore collectors. It's like the band is more interested in immediately competing with the flippers than moving product at a reasonable enough price to turn a profit . When Buzz says "we've got 'em cheaper than anywhere else", what does he mean, cheaper than discogs or ebay? Of course they are by a few bucks. The only place to buy them while supporting the band is at a show, or through OXOP.

I'm not complaining, just stating the facts I see. I don't care to be an AmRep Melvins vinyl completist. I'll be glad to have the Basses Loaded vinyl on Ipecac for like $15.
Title: Re: Melvins Interview - Vinyl Talk With The Melvins
Post by: bUTTHOLEmAN on April 29, 2016, 05:23:52 PM
Quote from: Chief Ten Beers on April 29, 2016, 05:14:30 PM
When Buzz says "we've got 'em cheaper than anywhere else", what does he mean, cheaper than discogs or ebay?
Yep.  It was a good way (meaning more money for the band) of selling the extra tri colored clown singles. 

I'm curious to see how the melvins evolve in the future with collectables- if they continue with the alternate sleeves for singles and cds, or maybe try something new.  Also, I'm wondering how high they can price things before people stop buying.
Title: Re: Melvins Interview - Vinyl Talk With The Melvins
Post by: Stonergrunge on April 29, 2016, 09:21:35 PM
Quote from: DAYSTAR on April 29, 2016, 08:40:10 PM
Quote from: bUTTHOLEmAN on April 29, 2016, 05:23:52 PM
Also, I'm wondering how high they can price things before people stop buying.
you're right bhm, for how long? I am one of the people camped out in front of my computer waiting for the clock to strike the hour, but I gotta say I buy a lot of records online and AmRep makes me work the hardest to get them to take my money.

For how long? I guess the answer is quite simple... forever. Because no matter how, there is always going to be someone willing to pay, no matter the price. Think of Wu-Tang Clan's "Once upon a time in Shaolin", for instance.

Title: Re: Melvins Interview - Vinyl Talk With The Melvins
Post by: bUTTHOLEmAN on April 29, 2016, 09:44:28 PM
Quote from: Stonergrunge on April 29, 2016, 09:21:35 PM
Quote from: DAYSTAR on April 29, 2016, 08:40:10 PM
Quote from: bUTTHOLEmAN on April 29, 2016, 05:23:52 PM
Also, I'm wondering how high they can price things before people stop buying.
you're right bhm, for how long? I am one of the people camped out in front of my computer waiting for the clock to strike the hour, but I gotta say I buy a lot of records online and AmRep makes me work the hardest to get them to take my money.

For how long? I guess the answer is quite simple... forever. Because no matter how, there is always going to be someone willing to pay, no matter the price. Think of Wu-Tang Clan's "Once upon a time in Shaolin", for instance.
Forever?  You increase the price of each successive release, you're going to see a drop in the amount of records sold.  I'm thinking the melvins want to make the most money possible, so they'll look for the sweet spot, where you have a max return.  You used the example of the wu-tang album- they sold one for 2 million, but look at how much 'enter the wu-tang', or 'wu-tang forver' sold for- they made more money off of each of those albums, because they sold a lot more.

People are spending a ton on vinyl currently, but is it something that's going to last? 
Title: Re: Melvins Interview - Vinyl Talk With The Melvins
Post by: (the) Razor on April 29, 2016, 10:20:05 PM
In the article, Buzz  talked about the sweet spot of how to price things and the quantity in which they sell it, they already found it. The vinyl resurgence is just that though, a resurgence. It's cool but won't be sustainable when the Spotify/streaming generation grows up.
Title: Re: Melvins Interview - Vinyl Talk With The Melvins
Post by: Stonergrunge on April 30, 2016, 12:02:29 AM
Well, I honestly haven't noticed any indicator that this vinyl resurgence is going away and it's been quite a while so far so... who knows?

Besides, most of the bands that I listen to have always released stuff on vinyl (Soundgarden, Nirvana, Melvins, Tool, Kyuss, Electric Wizard...) throughout their careers, so I can't see them as a part of the "vinyl revival" camp.
Title: Re: Melvins Interview - Vinyl Talk With The Melvins
Post by: meezer on April 30, 2016, 12:06:15 AM
 :lol:

[attachment deleted by admin]
Title: Re: Melvins Interview - Vinyl Talk With The Melvins
Post by: the ether bunny on April 30, 2016, 04:41:31 AM
Quote from: bUTTHOLEmAN on April 29, 2016, 05:23:52 PM
Quote from: Chief Ten Beers on April 29, 2016, 05:14:30 PM
When Buzz says "we've got 'em cheaper than anywhere else", what does he mean, cheaper than discogs or ebay?
Yep.  It was a good way (meaning more money for the band) of selling the extra tri colored clown singles. 

I'm curious to see how the melvins evolve in the future with collectables- if they continue with the alternate sleeves for singles and cds, or maybe try something new.  Also, I'm wondering how high they can price things before people stop buying.

They'll make their money.

I've been saying this for years. This band has done merch right, even during the days of Napster. Release limited edition items, and the public will eat it right up. The lettepress CD' sell on the after market for $450. How much is that foetus in a jar running for these days? The record industry is finally catching up. Record Store Day is a shining example. Talk about the Black Friday of music sales....
Title: Re: Melvins Interview - Vinyl Talk With The Melvins
Post by: meezer on April 30, 2016, 07:53:11 AM
Quote from: ))))(((( on April 30, 2016, 07:42:11 AM
Quote from: bUTTHOLEmAN on April 29, 2016, 09:44:28 PM
People are spending a ton on vinyl currently, but is it something that's going to last?
In a word - no. No it won't but i can't say how long it will be until it doesn't. Melvins can probably ride it for as long as they will be active as a band i would imagine. Personally though, i don't understand why younger generations are getting into vinyl or music as physical product. We're in end game, digital has already won. Vinyl might well be experiencing this so called "resurgence" we keep hearing about but i don't see that making much difference. At least long term. I agree with Buzz that CD is still easily the best for actual listening, while digital is wonderfully convenient. What does vinyl have going for it? That it's the best at taking up space around the home?? It certainly isn't winning in listening quality or cost.
Pressing plants are in full production and everything is on backorder. New plants are being brought online. It will never be what it was, but there's tangible proof that people who grow up on digital music and downloads (they may or may not have payed for) are still enticed by a pretty package and media they can hold in their hands.
Title: Re: Melvins Interview - Vinyl Talk With The Melvins
Post by: Stonergrunge on April 30, 2016, 12:11:16 PM
Quote from: ))))(((( on April 30, 2016, 07:42:11 AM
Quote from: bUTTHOLEmAN on April 29, 2016, 09:44:28 PM
People are spending a ton on vinyl currently, but is it something that's going to last?
Personally though, i don't understand why younger generations are getting into vinyl or music as physical product. We're in end game, digital has already won.

Well, this is the funny part... the younger generation have no idea that digital has already won, that's why they buy vinyls.  :-$

I do believe virtual lossless files are the future of the music industry in big terms, but I still don't see any sign of decay of this so called vinyl revival and CDs are still being manufactured massively.
Title: Re: Melvins Interview - Vinyl Talk With The Melvins
Post by: coreystevens88 on April 30, 2016, 12:53:57 PM
I'm sure I can't be the only one here that CANNOT WAIT for Houdini, Stoner Witch and Hag pressed by Third Man!!
Title: Re: Melvins Interview - Vinyl Talk With The Melvins
Post by: Stonergrunge on April 30, 2016, 02:23:31 PM
Quote from: ))))(((( on April 30, 2016, 12:52:11 PM
Quote from: Stonergrunge on April 30, 2016, 12:11:16 PM
but I still don't see any sign of decay of this so called vinyl revival and CDs are still being manufactured massively.
I think we are still in a sort of transitional phase. After all, digital music is still a relatively new thing. Give it 30 years or so and i would be surprised if people, the majority of people that is, are still interested in physical mediums.

Don't forget that a CD is not only a physical medium but also a digital format originally released in 1982... Although the (for today's standards) prehistorical LaserDisc was the first optical medium that offered digital audio, but that occured later since the firsts versions had purely analog sound... So digital music has been around "at least" for the last 34 years.
Title: Re: Melvins Interview - Vinyl Talk With The Melvins
Post by: Dumpster D on April 30, 2016, 07:47:56 PM
people will always be interested in physical media, especially Vinyl of all things, because records are like books, they can last indefinitely.






Title: Re: Melvins Interview - Vinyl Talk With The Melvins
Post by: John Schuller on April 30, 2016, 09:20:54 PM
Quote from: Dumpster D on April 30, 2016, 07:47:56 PM
people will always be interested in physical media, especially Vinyl of all things, because records are like books, they can last indefinitely.

This.
Title: Re: Melvins Interview - Vinyl Talk With The Melvins
Post by: GrimReaper on May 01, 2016, 04:38:59 AM
http://recode.net/2016/02/16/five-dimensional-glass-discs-can-store-data-for-up-to-13-8-billion-years/

I'm going to store my Melvins stuff on one of these, and my pictures of Schnab.
Title: Re: Melvins Interview - Vinyl Talk With The Melvins
Post by: FartLips on May 01, 2016, 10:14:39 AM
A great way for me to decide whether buying a record or bootlegging it on the Internet is pricing it at 40 a pop. Brilliant!
Title: Re: Melvins Interview - Vinyl Talk With The Melvins
Post by: Ghorn on May 01, 2016, 11:06:20 AM
Buzz: This stuff is not as valuable as people imagine it to be.  Let's look at it this way: we've had these (War Pussy10") available at the show, during the entire tour. We've been selling them for $40 apiece, cheaper than you'll find them anywhere else.  On this tour, we've played to thousands of people and still can't sell more than a few dozen of these. You can walk up to the merch booth right now and buy as many of these as you'd like.

That's odd... There were not any records for sale at the NYC show. Lame.
Title: Re: Melvins Interview - Vinyl Talk With The Melvins
Post by: Dumpster D on May 01, 2016, 12:41:08 PM
I got a War Pussy Ten inch, Fifty bucks Canadian currency.  :evil:



[attachment deleted by admin]
Title: Re: Melvins Interview - Vinyl Talk With The Melvins
Post by: Ghorn on May 01, 2016, 01:54:52 PM
Quote from: Dumpster D on May 01, 2016, 12:41:08 PM
I got a War Pussy Ten inch, Fifty bucks Canadian currency.  :evil:

(https://cdn.meme.am/instances/500x/53222801.jpg)
Title: Re: Melvins Interview - Vinyl Talk With The Melvins
Post by: FartLips on May 01, 2016, 02:13:23 PM
These days i feel much better about selling my vinyl. Still got a couple left!
Title: Re: Melvins Interview - Vinyl Talk With The Melvins
Post by: Captain CoryCory on May 01, 2016, 05:02:09 PM
Quote from: meezer on April 30, 2016, 07:53:11 AM
Quote from: ))))(((( on April 30, 2016, 07:42:11 AM
Quote from: bUTTHOLEmAN on April 29, 2016, 09:44:28 PM
People are spending a ton on vinyl currently, but is it something that's going to last?
In a word - no. No it won't but i can't say how long it will be until it doesn't. Melvins can probably ride it for as long as they will be active as a band i would imagine. Personally though, i don't understand why younger generations are getting into vinyl or music as physical product. We're in end game, digital has already won. Vinyl might well be experiencing this so called "resurgence" we keep hearing about but i don't see that making much difference. At least long term. I agree with Buzz that CD is still easily the best for actual listening, while digital is wonderfully convenient. What does vinyl have going for it? That it's the best at taking up space around the home?? It certainly isn't winning in listening quality or cost.
Pressing plants are in full production and everything is on backorder. New plants are being brought online. It will never be what it was, but there's tangible proof that people who grow up on digital music and downloads (they may or may not have payed for) are still enticed by a pretty package and media they can hold in their hands.

This quote right here is also why you have a resurgence in cassettes. The vinyl resurgence is still strong and making bank for pressing plants but it's going to be more sustainable for bigger labels or bands with rabid fanbases as opposed to purely independent bands unless they're willing to spend the money to do it and risk losing their asses and sitting on tons of copies.

As for the Melvins, they're easily one of the smartest touring bands around. While it's uncertain just how long the limited releases keep going they make it work surprisingly well. It helps they have a rabid and loyal fanbase along with selling out venues on a regular basis. At the very least if the limited vinyl fails they can still make a reasonable buck just touring and simply selling shirts if needed.
Title: Re: Melvins Interview - Vinyl Talk With The Melvins
Post by: rimb on May 01, 2016, 07:01:46 PM
All that talk about the vinyl-only stuff being "out there" is garbage, unless you count crappy youtube rips or videos of spinning turntables....
Title: Re: Melvins Interview - Vinyl Talk With The Melvins
Post by: LuckMach3 on May 01, 2016, 07:28:48 PM
Quote from: rimb on May 01, 2016, 07:01:46 PM
All that talk about the vinyl-only stuff being "out there" is garbage, unless you count crappy youtube rips or videos of spinning turntables....

I'm pretty sure that's exactly what he's talking about.  I guess he's technically right.   I'd still love some official compilation albums though.  The HAT B-Sides were amazing and I've probably listened to that unofficial EP about 100 times.
Title: Re: Melvins Interview - Vinyl Talk With The Melvins
Post by: bUTTHOLEmAN on May 01, 2016, 07:46:48 PM
Quote from: LuckMach3 on May 01, 2016, 07:28:48 PM
Quote from: rimb on May 01, 2016, 07:01:46 PM
All that talk about the vinyl-only stuff being "out there" is garbage, unless you count crappy youtube rips or videos of spinning turntables....

I'm pretty sure that's exactly what he's talking about.  I guess he's technically right.   I'd still love some official compilation albums though.  The HAT B-Sides were amazing and I've probably listened to that unofficial EP about 100 times.
Clown singles are still tough to find, and even a few of the recent songs are hard to find.
The collection of singles on the Leech bootleg were great- the complaints about 'speed problems' on that are overstated.
I'm surprised the Melvins haven't thrown up a few pay-for-digital downloads on their dotcom site.
Title: Re: Melvins Interview - Vinyl Talk With The Melvins
Post by: Dumpster D on May 01, 2016, 11:50:24 PM
Ok guys...Seriously...Not to burst any bubbles but the Revival of Tape and Vinyl is...well if you look at the Graph chart...its *Technically* a resurgence.... I guess... :bs:

see for yourselves:




[attachment deleted by admin]
Title: Re: Melvins Interview - Vinyl Talk With The Melvins
Post by: meezer on May 02, 2016, 07:35:03 AM
That's not really fair though. You had no digital in the 70s. It is going up, that's a resurgence. The problems with manufacturing capabilities now are due to how much of the infrastructure that produced that huge chunk were scrapped after the vinyl era ended.
Title: Re: Melvins Interview - Vinyl Talk With The Melvins
Post by: FartLips on May 02, 2016, 10:32:32 AM
I'd like a resurgence of downoloadable melvins content so I can feel like a fan of this band and not a some fucking cash cow.


that should bring out the banning fingers!
Title: Re: Melvins Interview - Vinyl Talk With The Melvins
Post by: bUTTHOLEmAN on May 02, 2016, 10:44:31 AM
Quote from: FartLips on May 02, 2016, 10:32:32 AM
I'd like a resurgence of downoloadable melvins content so I can feel like a fan of this band and not a some fucking cash cow.


that should bring out the banning fingers!
That's a good point.
Title: Re: Melvins Interview - Vinyl Talk With The Melvins
Post by: rimb on May 03, 2016, 06:45:12 PM
Quote from: FartLips on May 02, 2016, 10:32:32 AM
I'd like a resurgence of downoloadable melvins content so I can feel like a fan of this band and not a some fucking cash cow.


that should bring out the banning fingers!

Indeed!