Hostile Ambient Takeover

Started by klump, March 25, 2004, 04:55:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

amazonAMAZON

If the ending of "Foaming" were a woman, I might just elope with her. We could settle down and have cute kids, and I would cherish her and treat her like royalty until my dying day. We'd save up to some day send our kids to a private electric wire school and we'd name our dog the sound of those hihats.

immoraliste

Listened to this for the first time in years while walking the dog and my mind was blown. Is this the last great Melvins album? I think so. Don't get me wrong, I love every subsequent release but this one is magical.

black stallion

Quote from: immoraliste on July 12, 2018, 01:47:15 PM
Listened to this for the first time in years while walking the dog and my mind was blown. Is this the last great Melvins album? I think so. Don't get me wrong, I love every subsequent release but this one is magical.

i think they released two other killer albums after that
Charmicarmicat:Bastards

the bloat

I busted this out today. It's been years. It might be one of my favorites. I think it's a perfect blend of post Maggot chugging, Honky weirdness and I love the way Dale's drums are miked. This is one of my favorites from a production stand point. Dale's drums sound full and Buzz's tone is razor sharp and biting. And then, of course, there's Kevin with the slide bass... hair raising, anxiety inducing heaviness. The b-sides are great too. Promise Me, Arny, Jerkin' Krokus... I challenge any of you to give it a spin tonight

the bloat

Oh, and the Anti Vermin Seed is the most evil sounding Melvins song ever. A perfect closer. Has the same feel of the Green Manalishi cover, but is original Melvins through and through

black stallion

Quote from: the bloat on May 02, 2020, 11:09:38 PM
This is one of my favorites from a production stand point. Dale's drums sound full and Buzz's tone is razor sharp and biting

totally agree. sometimes i wonder what happened with Toshi's productions after HAT and POTRE...

amazonAMAZON

Quote from: black stallion on May 03, 2020, 03:41:51 AM
This is one of my favorites from a production stand point. Dale's drums sound full and Buzz's tone is razor sharp and biting

totally agree. sometimes i wonder what happened with Toshi's productions after HAT and POTRE...

Third! These two records sound particularly well engineered, produced, and mixed. No matter how many times I try to put it out of my mind, if I come back to HAT or POTRE I am struck by the sound and get a little wistful. (How often do you see 'wistful' on a metal forum?)

vince furnier

HAT has been rising in popularity in the fb group exponentially since I joined 6 years ago. (gotchyer big word there bub  :ohsnap: )
Welcome to my Nightmare!

Israeli billionaire dies during penis enlargement surgery

jules

Quote from: amazonAMAZON on May 03, 2020, 02:12:21 PM
(How often do you see 'wistful' on a metal forum?)
Rarely, without an umlaut, it has to be said.

))))((((

I think it%u2019s a perfect blend of post Maggot chugging, Honky weirdness
True, easily a top 10 best ever Melvins release. Quite possibly a top 5! I mentioned HAT to a guy at work recently and sent him 'The Fool, The Meddling Idiot' as an example. Not sure what he made of it though. That song and 'The Anti-Vermin Seed' are my favourites from the record.

My only issue is that im never sure if 'Black Stooges' is the drum intro, the second track or both! I wish the release had either combined the intro and song into ONE track or gave both different titles.

amazonAMAZON

RE: Black Stooges. It's the song, not the drum intro. Millennium monster work confirmed this and I think the 7" does, too.

My faves now are probably "The Fool," "Dr. Geek" for acrobatics, "Foaming," "Brain Center," and "Black Stooges" (especially building up to the squibbly drum/noise blast).

Mount Ambulance

It was a big night out on the town for the Id and the Reptile Brain ...

like a brick wall, like a dream waiting to be!

black stallion

))))((((

Quote from: black stallion on May 05, 2020, 01:10:06 AM
kevin at his best
Probably true. That run from the trilogy to POTRE is epic in my opinion. My favourite string of Melvins releases and a fine era of the band. Which is - perhaps foolishly - why i always wish Kevin would come back full time.

Hands First Flower

I love this record more than all the others.
What a fabulous room. Are all these your guitars?