Melvins With Steven McDonald On Bass

Started by meezer, December 03, 2015, 07:05:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

black stallion

Charmicarmicat:Bastards

goldennuggetrecordings

dumpster d, its not that i'm trying to compare them or rank and judge them so much as trying to communicate what im hearing in a relative way, which ends up being by comparison to a degree.

i like all the players theyve had, even lukin. but ive personally seen 4 different bass lineups live so far, and im getting the vibe that steves gonna be my favorite. but that doesnt take away from any of the other players at all. its just that steve seems to fit in really really well and bring a sort of fresh energy to the band or something.

Captain CoryCory

Quote from: black stallion on March 22, 2016, 02:47:19 PM
Quote from: sadcorps on March 22, 2016, 01:50:17 PM
You are spot on that he has that Mark D feel -

check the bass line on Revolve !

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-bnSN5PgvZc

This is sickeningly good! But then again when has the Melvins ever had a bad bassist at the helm? I really hope there's a follow up tour in the states beyond the tour with Napalm Death and Melt-Banana.

black stallion

Quote from: Captain CoryCory on March 22, 2016, 03:48:23 PM
Quote from: black stallion on March 22, 2016, 02:47:19 PM
Quote from: sadcorps on March 22, 2016, 01:50:17 PM
You are spot on that he has that Mark D feel -

check the bass line on Revolve !

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-bnSN5PgvZc

This is sickeningly good! But then again when has the Melvins ever had a bad bassist at the helm? I really hope there's a follow up tour in the states beyond the tour with Napalm Death and Melt-Banana.

never had a bad bassist indeed

John Schuller

Quote from: goldennuggetrecordings on March 22, 2016, 03:14:53 PM
dumpster d, its not that i'm trying to compare them or rank and judge them so much as trying to communicate what im hearing in a relative way, which ends up being by comparison to a degree.

i like all the players theyve had, even lukin. but ive personally seen 4 different bass lineups live so far, and im getting the vibe that steves gonna be my favorite. but that doesnt take away from any of the other players at all. its just that steve seems to fit in really really well and bring a sort of fresh energy to the band or something.

I just witnessed two nights in a row of Steven McDonald on bass. The energy, tone and riffage he brings is stellar. Watch out - in my opinion this is the best lineup I have seen live! (the only lineups that I have never seen live are the Buzz/Mike/Lukin and Buzz/Dale/Joe lineups.)

glen

Quote from: sadcorps on March 24, 2016, 12:37:40 PM

I just witnessed two nights in a row of Steven McDonald on bass. The energy, tone and riffage he brings is stellar. Watch out - in my opinion this is the best lineup I have seen live! (the only lineups that I have never seen live are the Buzz/Mike/Lukin and Buzz/Dale/Joe lineups.)

*considers the fact that sadcorps' word carries weight*   
"Glen. You can totally go fuck yourself. I have no idea who you are and I really don't care." - Richie Goodtimes

Glen. You can totally go fuck yourself. I have no idea who you are and I really don't care.
(signed) MAYNARD  JAMES  KEENAN

Oscar

goldennuggetrecordings

this is the impression ive been getting, but didnt want to jump to conclusions... all i know is i watch every melvins video i can find, ive seen a lot, theyre mostly all in line with eachother, and then i watched the eye flys and suddenly it hit me like BAM this is different in the best way possible!

yeah. im pumped.

John Schuller

John Schuller

Quote from: goldennuggetrecordings on March 24, 2016, 05:13:15 PM

this is the impression ive been getting, but didnt want to jump to conclusions... all i know is i watch every melvins video i can find, ive seen a lot, theyre mostly all in line with eachother, and then i watched the eye flys and suddenly it hit me like BAM this is different in the best way possible!

yeah. im pumped.

I hear you there! Just WAIT until you witness Eye Flys with McDonald on bass - it is taken to a whole new level!!!!!

black stallion

Quote from: sadcorps on March 24, 2016, 09:40:59 PM
Quote from: goldennuggetrecordings on March 24, 2016, 05:13:15 PM

yeah. im pumped.

I hear you there! Just WAIT until you witness Eye Flys with McDonald on bass - it is taken to a whole new level!!!!!

the guy can play bass

drumfreak:)

From the videos I have seen so far McDonald seems to be one of the best bassists ever.
He´s soooo good and tries out things like his octave hopping in Revolve for example.
I hope they´ll take him to Europe.
Stoked
Has two bands with ridicolous names.

black stallion

Dumpster D

I duno about that, The Original version is classic.

John Schuller

Quote from: ))))(((( on March 25, 2016, 04:21:16 PM
I know people love this song (much as the band do) but i really dislike it. Always have, although i will say the Melvins version is far better than the Alice Cooper original. IM(idiotic)O of course.

How is the Melvins version better? It is almost exactly the same as the original. And the original is a stellar song!