Crystal Fairy! New Band w/ Buzz, Dale, Teri Gender Bender & Omar Rodriguez-Lopez

Started by vince furnier, October 04, 2016, 08:48:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

))))((((

Quote from: (the) flutter nuts on February 21, 2017, 07:27:29 AM
Damn this album is AMAZING!!!!!!
I think i'd go with an 8/10. Im tempted to say it's better than Basses Loaded, certainly in terms of consistency anyway but perhaps overall with all things considered it's about the same. It's something of a "grower" this album, but i still think Under Trouble, Posesion and Sweet Self are the lesser points on the record. Not bad but just not so great to me. Does anyone else cringe at that bit in the title track where Teri says "Hey yo, Crystal do you want a cigarette?". ?? That little bit irritates me so much. Perhaps in the way she says it too.

Godflesh

--- Heavy user ---

Fureon Nectarmoon

Quote from: ))))(((( on February 21, 2017, 08:33:42 AM
Does anyone else cringe at that bit in the title track where Teri says "Hey yo, Crystal do you want a cigarette?". ?? That little bit irritates me so much. Perhaps in the way she says it too.
Yes, huge turn-off for me too.

anaconda

I don't mind that part, it makes me think of The Runaways or something

meezer

"Get off of our stage. If you want on this stage, get in show business." -King Buzzo
"Yeah, we don't come in the 7-11 where you work and get up on the counter." -Mark D
https://soundcloud.com/meezerpocalypse/nathalie-b20-driving-force-paploviante-cyclone-open-collab-meezerpocalypse-haboob-remix

))))((((

Quote from: meezer on February 22, 2017, 10:45:40 AM
Haven't listened. Ship it out already!
Not to any of the songs?? Surely you've heard the 3 that got previewed early?

Captain CoryCory

Quote from: Fureon Nectarmoon on February 21, 2017, 03:42:14 PM
Does anyone else cringe at that bit in the title track where Teri says "Hey yo, Crystal do you want a cigarette?". ?? That little bit irritates me so much. Perhaps in the way she says it too.

It's the most 90s thing about this record, honestly. Reminded me of Pixies, Lydia Lunch and Sleater-Kinney.

Overall it's a 7/10 record for me. Way too arty to be grunge but it's not bad even if some of the songs are as straightforward alternative rock as it gets. Honestly, it's a great vocal/lyric clinic for Teri with her at times overshadowing the backing players through Dale kills it on Crystal Fairy and a few others and of course Buzz is a riff factory. Omar as a bassist is fine but we all know his forte is his guitar and a thousand pedals. Some of the songs don't do much for me either.

I like it but I'm not sure if I'll be revisiting this album a lot and I got a sinking feeling this may be the only album we get of this group. I told a friend Omar was playing bass on it and he already doesn't want to hear it (He's a fickle individual in terms of music and a diehard Volta fan).

Highlights? Chiseler, Crystal Fairy, Under Trouble, Bent Teeth, Posesion

Bigval

Probably not much chance for Crystal Fairy touring happening this year now with At The Drive-In's comeback album coming out on the 5th May.

(PAUL)

Hail, not fail.
PS:  fuck him.

DCGOD

anaconda

looks like mackie took a shot at re-designing the original 'whipped-together' looking one

DCGOD

Quote from: anaconda on February 22, 2017, 08:00:22 PM
looks like mackie took a shot at re-designing the original 'whipped-together' looking one

Nailed it! The tiny skull was a dead give-away wasn't it.

anaconda

that and the Bodoni Ultra Bold italic typeface. She used it on the inside of TBSM as well if I recall.

))))((((

Quote from: Captain CoryCory on February 22, 2017, 11:31:38 AM
Way too arty to be grunge but it's not bad even if some of the songs are as straightforward alternative rock as it gets.
One thing i really like about this record is that it DOESN'T have any silly, embarrassing, kitsch songs like Melvins usually like including into recent releases. No Buzz!! I don't care how much you try to make me like them i wont!!!

Quote from: (PAUL) on February 22, 2017, 07:13:02 PM
What's up with this album cover?
That's obviously just a sleeve (perhaps a carboard one) that goes over the other cover. Im sure the "proper" cover art is intact beneath.

I got a sinking feeling this may be the only album we get of this group.
Im unsure on that too. I'd say the chances are 50-50.

I told a friend Omar was playing bass on it and he already doesn't want to hear it (He's a fickle individual in terms of music and a diehard Volta fan).
That's silly! I'd always at the very least give something a chance.

POOP GRENADE

Quote from: Fureon Nectarmoon on February 21, 2017, 03:42:14 PM

ALBUM RUINED