MELVINS - WORKING WITH GOD (NEW ALBUM!!!!!!!)

Started by Stonergrunge, November 12, 2020, 11:24:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dumpster D

Yea Melvins 83 is a pretty good vibe.

I think it's really cool that Mike, Dale, and Buzz are friends. They crack me up sometimes.  :lol:

vince furnier

Welcome to my Nightmare!

Israeli billionaire dies during penis enlargement surgery

dead mike

This record is OK.

melvins records on average are significantly better than OK. Just an observation.
Can you all shut your damn cocks for one second? Music is the only thing that's real in this queef world of dildo ass chodes.

- hemispheres

))))((((

My best to worst songs. The top half are definitely great tracks, the bottom half a bit mixed.

Caddy Daddy
Negative No No
Boy Mike
Hund
The Great Good Place
Hot Fish
Brian, The Horse-Faced Goon
Bouncing Rick
1 Fuck You
Good Night Sweetheart
1 Brian, The Horse-Faced Goon
I Fuck Around
Fuck You

black stallion

Charmicarmicat:Bastards

kingdiamond

Fun record. Not one of their best but that's a high bar. Definitely a couple I'd love to hear live when that's a thing. Lots of heavy riffs interspersed with juvenile punk rock humor. I'll take it. Also, Mike is a really good drummer. He's no Dale but who is and it's cool to hear a different take on Buzzo riffs. If you're debating buying this or not, buy it.

))))((((

Quote from: kingdiamond on March 17, 2021, 12:35:13 PM
Also, Mike is a really good drummer. He's no Dale but who is and it's cool to hear a different take on Buzzo riffs.
Agreed. I don't think anyone needs to downplay his playing, he fits in really well. In fact, if it i had just heard this record without knowing it was the 1983 incarnation of the band, i doubt i would even have noticed the difference!

Stonergrunge

cartoons, chocolate milk & rock 'n' roll!!
Fuzz is love.
Foot fetishism means love, because, it's the magic of feet odor... Long live depravation.

Mints

Quote from: ))))(((( on March 17, 2021, 02:06:51 PM
Also, Mike is a really good drummer. He's no Dale but who is and it's cool to hear a different take on Buzzo riffs.
In fact, if it i had just heard this record without knowing it was the 1983 incarnation of the band, i doubt i would even have noticed the difference!

Really? I always assume Melvins fans are/think like musicians and songwriters. Do you have favourite drum parts in Melvins songs? Favourite drummers?

))))((((

Quote from: Mints on March 18, 2021, 07:11:04 PM
Quote from: ))))(((( on March 17, 2021, 02:06:51 PM
In fact, if it i had just heard this record without knowing it was the 1983 incarnation of the band, i doubt i would even have noticed the difference!

Really? I always assume Melvins fans are/think like musicians and songwriters. Do you have favourite drum parts in Melvins songs? Favourite drummers?
As much as i love music, im not really a "musical" individual. For instance, i don't play any instruments or such. In a sense, i don't think im the type of person who (perhaps like many here) actively or passively dissects what it is they are listening to. When people comment "check out the bassline in this song" it tends to be something i haven't noticed.

Unless a particular instrument glaringly jumps out of the mix or makes itself known, i tend to think of a song in it's totality. As it's whole. Similarly i cannot say i have favourite "parts" of songs. I don't observe what i hear as constituent auditory elements. To me they are simply just songs and i either like that song or do not. In a way i prefer that. I would hate to hear a song that i liked only to think "oh that guitarist is doing something so simple there, so this song is stupid!" or such.

I used to keep a list of my favourite members of bands under what instrument they played. But now i don't really care for that. For separating up acts. Like the songs, i just think to myself - "i like this band" or that i don't. I just gravitate to what compels or moves me in some way.

I must say though, of what you speak, i find these sort of topics very interesting and illuminating. I've made it known a few times on here in the past that i come from an art education background. So i think i relate to music and bands somewhere from that direction. Less musical and more in terms of, lets say, statement. In terms of what the band are doing and how they are presenting themselves rather than what it is they are actually playing or doing physically to put those songs out into the world.

Mints

Speaking of art, what would you think of a Van Gogh self portrait if you saw one up close? Maybe you have. Personally, I was mesmerized by the three dimensional aspect of each painting. Every blob of paint had its own set of characteristics: volume, colour, shape. They were practically sculptures rather than paintings. Oops, I'm digressing. What I'm getting at is that your art history classes must have exhaustively covered intention/decision making in every brush stoke, so I find it interesting that those considerations didn't cross over into your musical analysis. In a sense you're lucky, though; if you decide to dig deeper into what the Melvins are doing you'll be gobsmacked at how good Dale really is. It was a revelation to me when I first "got it".

As for this album, I don't know how the fuck you guys can be so excited about it.

black stallion

yeah, i think drumming is super weak and generic on this album. at the same time i must admit that recent melvins stuff didn't impress me too much about drums, even when Dale was playing. maybe it has something to do with the production in general or with the fact Dale changed his style a bit.

kingdiamond

I dig it. I listen to a ton of more intricate music like jazz, funk, and prog but I grew up into punk so I'm cool with basic and generic as long as it sounds cool. There's a lot of complex music that doesn't do it for me. Mikes drumming sounds cool in my book. I did notice some interesting drum parts that I wouldn't expect a basic punk or metal drummer to do. Idk. Quality heavy metal and punk to my ears.

black stallion

Quote from: kingdiamond on March 19, 2021, 10:34:01 AM
I dig it. I listen to a ton of more intricate music like jazz, funk, and prog but I grew up into punk so I'm cool with basic and generic as long as it sounds cool. There's a lot of complex music that doesn't do it for me. Mikes drumming sounds cool in my book. I did notice some interesting drum parts that I wouldn't expect a basic punk or metal drummer to do. Idk. Quality heavy metal and punk to my ears.

yeah, the album is fun and sounds fresh, being simple doesn't mean it's bad.

vince furnier

Stallion, i recall you saying over the last few releases Dale's drumming is becoming more conventional. more of a four on the floor type feel than his previous style that always threw us curveballs. nothing wrong with either in my book necessarily. i'm more about Buzz's riffs to be honest.
Welcome to my Nightmare!

Israeli billionaire dies during penis enlargement surgery