Five Legged Dog

Started by ))))((((, September 02, 2021, 07:17:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

))))((((

Quote from: Mount Ambulance on October 17, 2021, 03:26:37 PM
Quote from: Mount Ambulance on July 22, 2021, 10:08:08 PM
At The Stake!? Oh shit, I can hardly wait!
When I saw the track length I was a bit worried ...
Im not even sure it is the same song! It's quick and definitely has the same lyrics but it feels completely new to me - almost like a new Melvins track. I can't tell if it's just the original song sped up acoustically or totally redone.

jules

I see they left We Are Doomed off the download. They just realised now. Hopefully it'll be on the LP..........

))))((((

I was looking at what songs the band (or solo Buzz) have performed acoustically before that didn't make the cut. Electric Flower, Hag Me, Dark Brown Teeth and Onions Make The Milk Taste Bad. I feel like all those should have been included instead of all the cover songs. Now... im sure the band add the covers in to spice things up a bit. To make the recording situation a bit more fun and interesting to them. Also as a way of making the record more appealing potentially to buyers in that it has previously unrecorded or new material. But for me i'd rather just have more Melvins tunes done acoustically than covers. Not that i necessarily dislike them in and of themselves, but the covers are the worst tracks on the record to me.

black stallion

been listening to the first disc so far and i must say i'm impressed, it'so good
Charmicarmicat:Bastards

Oscar

Quote from: ))))(((( on October 19, 2021, 01:26:44 PM
But for me i'd rather just have more Melvins tunes done acoustically than covers. Not that i necessarily dislike them in and of themselves, but the covers are the worst tracks on the record to me.

Agreed. It would have been nice to have a King Buzzo acoustic track on there along with Dale's Bad Move. Like you said, the covers aren't bad songs but this lineup's classic rock infatuation seems to be dominating this era.

More Fantasy Football song picks: Skin Horse, Lone Rose Holding Now, Goose Freight Train, Black Heath

black stallion

i think Melvins always did covers.. since GPT or Ozma, nothing new

Oscar

Quote from: black stallion on October 20, 2021, 06:11:01 AM
i think Melvins always did covers.. since GPT or Ozma, nothing new

The point of discussion is the choice of covers, not the fact that they're covering.
Melvins have put out some of the best cover versions in all of music, finding what makes a song good and making it entirely their own.

))))((((

Favourite tracks on this one?

I think mine are Hung Bunny, Boris, Hooch, We Are Doomed, The Bloated Pope and At The Stake. Well.....realistically there's a LOT of favourites.

amazonAMAZON

How long until we get into the nitty gritty of rating the original album version vs the FLD version for all 36 songs (minus new covers)?

I find it a bit funny that I think of "A Growing Disgust" as a recent song, despite being released nine years ago. I find that one and "Edgar" really sound like they're cut from the same cloth.

What instrument is on "Bad Move" that sounds like a children's toy? Xylophone? Or some percussion attached to the kit?

Also, I answered my own question above Oven vocals by reading the credits:
QuoteBackup vocals on "Civilized Worm" and ""Sway" by Camilla Saufley.
Backup vocals on "Oven" and "Billy Fish" by Bob Hannam.

QuoteBob Hannam's been on the road for 20+ years as a merchandise manager and co-owner of RevolveMerchandise. He's the director of The Colossus Of Destiny - A Melvins Tale
https://www.facebook.com/gimmemetal/posts/bob-hannams-been-on-the-road-for-20-years-as-a-merchandise-manager-and-co-owner-/2076967025899311/

QuoteCamilla Saufley
Singer, also plays keyboards, bass and flute.
In Groups:
Assemble Head In Sunburst Sound, Golden Void
Variations: Camilla Saufley-Mitchell
https://www.discogs.com/artist/3611906-Camilla-Saufley-Mitchell

amazonAMAZON

Also some artwork comments:

It does remind me of Hold It In in style.

I dig the chevron pattern on the credits page.

What's your favorite totem? I only have the CD packaging to refer to. Is vinyl any different?
* trepanated baby (cover, digipak)
* thunderstorm dog (cover, insert)
* cactus (digipak)
* burning cactus (digipak)
* tulip handed bishop (insert)
* square headed squinter (insert)
* bloodthirsty blob (sticker)
* Abraham Lincoln (insert)
* barfing flower (insert)

I like the blob, burning cactus, and flower best

black stallion

hey, has anyone noticed the connection between At The Stake and this song from first Buzz solo album?

https://youtu.be/fixXs7mRPN0

https://youtu.be/C4pc_QM7BSc

moose

Quote from: black stallion on October 21, 2021, 02:23:18 PM
hey, has anyone noticed the connection between At The Stake and this song from first Buzz solo album?

https://youtu.be/fixXs7mRPN0

https://youtu.be/C4pc_QM7BSc
Yeah I noticed that too. I couldn't figure out if it was the same song or just similar. It sounded different after the first part but I haven't done a side by side to compare.
Well, we'll always have "In the Air Tonight." Will that be your most enduring song?
You know, that song won't lie down. It just won't go away. I mean, there's a Mike Tyson moment associated with it now. It's just bizarre. I guess it has a bit of mystery, a lot of atmosphere, and the drums coming in, pinning people to the wall.

amazonAMAZON

Both links show "Video Unavailable" likely due to geo restrictions. Which Buzz solo tune?

black stallion

))))((((

Quote from: amazonAMAZON on October 21, 2021, 01:46:36 PM
How long until we get into the nitty gritty of rating the original album version vs the FLD version for all 36 songs (minus new covers)?
Good idea but i doubt i could ever choose one version over another. Even though they are the same songs, i weirdly see them as something different too. Put it this way - im glad both exist!

Quote from: black stallion on October 21, 2021, 02:23:18 PM
Nice connection there. I never noticed that myself.