Bad Mood Rising

Started by CoryCory, July 28, 2022, 07:30:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

))))((((

The more i hear it, the more i like the idea of the ending of 'My Discomfort Is Radiant' being it's own actual song. I mean it feels like a totally different song anyway and i think it would be nice for it to have it's own title. Even if it is only a minute long.

Quote from: black stallion on September 14, 2022, 12:24:12 PM
Don't want to check this album before buying a copy of it, problem is ,will it be available in Europe?
I'm holding out for the CD. Hopefully.

the bloat

So glad I got to hear it today via YouTube. I've only listened one time through, but first impression is that this is a super solid release with lots of great things to absorb! I'm thinking about how five legged dog might have helped shape this one. Could this be why we are hearing more vocal harmonies? More melodies?

Colonel Cheese

Got my roughtrade copy last night, spun it.
A solid Melvins release. Challenging, varied rocking material. Great cover/packaging as usual. Side A is slow as fuck!
I like how Side B seems totally different and new. I agree with the poster about the ending of 'my discomfort' being different to the point that it feels like they snuck another song in there. I really loved the Death record and this one seems like a natural spill over/evolution of the sounds from that one in the best ways. I think its going to grow on me quite a bit in the coming days. I disagreed with the poster about the Receiver and the Empire state being his/her least favorite song on the record. I liked it quite a bit and thought it was a perfect ending to the record.
Thanks again Melvins! Love ya

vince furnier

listened last night. great stuff. have to agree with those who say it's the best since Love/ Death.
Welcome to my Nightmare!
inbox is currently 82% full. TEAMWORK MAKES THE DREAM WORK!
"uh no, but we do know that meezer is vince furnier" - brian

black stallion

Quote from: vince furnier on September 15, 2022, 08:18:39 AM
have to agree with those who say it's the best since Love/ Death.

which was the last proper album
Charmicarmicat:Bastards

Pound4abrown

Quote from: ))))(((( on September 14, 2022, 02:09:28 PM
The more i hear it, the more i like the idea of the ending of 'My Discomfort Is Radiant' being it's own actual song. I mean it feels like a totally different song anyway and i think it would be nice for it to have it's own title. Even if it is only a minute long.

Yup, I thought the same, it threw me for a loop when I first hear it, talk about a false ending.

the bloat

Quotewhich was the last proper album

I think some might consider Working with God to be a proper album (which I would agree with).

dead mike

Quote from: vince furnier on September 15, 2022, 08:18:39 AM
listened last night. great stuff. have to agree with those who say it's the best since Love/ Death.
Damning with faint praise?
Can you all shut your damn cocks for one second? Music is the only thing that's real in this queef world of dildo ass chodes.

- hemispheres

black stallion

Quote from: the bloat on September 15, 2022, 09:17:01 AM
Quotewhich was the last proper album

I think some might consider Working with God to be a proper album (which I would agree with).

yeah sure, i remember some of the songs on WWG being released before as part of some limited edition releases but i might be wrong.

amazonAMAZON

Both BMR and WWG had tracks released on an AmRep EP and cheapy CD prior with about the same lead time. With WWG it was four songs instead of two, but not really a significant difference. They're both new studio albums.

Oscar

Quote from: Colonel Cheese on September 15, 2022, 07:53:56 AM
Side A is slow as fuck!

Boy, isn't it. The movement from upbeat to pummelling and back again is a lot of fun.

2 listens in, this really sounds like the current lineup coming into their own.
I agree on the 5LD references, there seem to be a lot of the same dynamics in vocal arrangements and instrumentation (provided this was made after 5LD).

One thing that struck me early were the lyrics. They usually serve more of a rhythmic and melodic purpose than to convey meaning but these, although I wasn't checking for them, feel like they're actually...saying something?

Only gripe I have is that the toothless production doesn't always help the songs as much as it could. I just can't warm up to that Fisher Price snare sound.

))))((((

Reading the glowing praise i do feel slightly at odds with it. I feel like my initial feeling towards the album was perhaps slightly (ever so slightly) too positive. I think the first three songs are fine but after that i do perceive a step down. I love the rocking opening of 'It Won't Or It Might' but then feel a bit out of sorts about the "emotional" rest of the track. It's a good song of course and classily composed but just not something i love to hear really. 'Hammering' again is decent but the more i hear it the more it feels very throwaway. Nothing that would blow me away. Same goes for 'Receiver...'.

Quote from: black stallion on September 15, 2022, 10:47:06 AM
i remember some of the songs on WWG being released before as part of some limited edition releases but i might be wrong.
No, you're right. It was 'Hot Fish' on the Flipper EP.

black stallion

if Crover is not drumming i don't consider it as a proper Melvins album  [-(

Nizamark

QuoteOne thing that struck me early were the lyrics. They usually serve more of a rhythmic and melodic purpose than to convey meaning but these, although I wasn't checking for them, feel like they're actually...saying something?

haha i am NOT prepared for melvins lyrics that are anything but inscrutable
(i have not heard the album yet)

))))((((

Quote from: Oscar on September 15, 2022, 11:55:40 AM
One thing that struck me early were the lyrics. They usually serve more of a rhythmic and melodic purpose than to convey meaning but these, although I wasn't checking for them, feel like they're actually...saying something?
I thought something seemed a bit different in the lyrics too. Although i wasn't sure if that was just because it's new and i'm not familiar with the vocals yet. "love birds in a cherry tree".