(the) Melvins - Tarantula Heart

Started by rimb, February 06, 2024, 04:50:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

black stallion

Probably Buzz is the only human being on this planet not liking the production of Melvins Atlantic era's albums  :lol:
Charmicarmicat:Bastards

moose

Quote from: black stallion on April 11, 2024, 11:04:18 AMProbably Buzz is the only human being on this planet not liking the production of Melvins Atlantic era's albums  :lol:
I know. Like it would be cool if they re-recorded them, but they are so good that I can't imagine that they could improve upon them.
Well, we'll always have "In the Air Tonight." Will that be your most enduring song?
You know, that song won't lie down. It just won't go away. I mean, there's a Mike Tyson moment associated with it now. It's just bizarre. I guess it has a bit of mystery, a lot of atmosphere, and the drums coming in, pinning people to the wall.

PepsiMike

Quote from: moose on April 11, 2024, 01:29:48 PM
Quote from: black stallion on April 11, 2024, 11:04:18 AMProbably Buzz is the only human being on this planet not liking the production of Melvins Atlantic era's albums  :lol:
I know. Like it would be cool if they re-recorded them, but they are so good that I can't imagine that they could improve upon them.
Yes.
He mentions that the Atlantic sessions sound 'overproduced', but you listen to the current sessions, maybe expecting something more raw, and . . It's just different.

amazonAMAZON

My biggest complaint with Melvins recordings of the late Toshi years is lack of crack on the snare. I hope this on eis different. I haven't studied the videos because I didn't want to burn the songs out before I hear the album. What do you guys think of the drum sound on this one? Does Roy get more transient on the snare and toms?

))))((((

Have you guys seen the announced listening party for Tarantula Heart? Since i don't have a Bandcamp account, i'm currently wondering if it is really worth signing up just to hear the new album 2 days before release.

Incidentally have you noticed that it doesn't seem to be a thing anymore where an album is streamable a week before it's release date? I remember Melvins did that a few times previously but not now. The funniest was how Basses Loaded got a special stream preview on some American baseball site!

black stallion

Quote from: amazonAMAZON on April 11, 2024, 08:09:47 PMMy biggest complaint with Melvins recordings of the late Toshi years is lack of crack on the snare. I hope this on eis different. I haven't studied the videos because I didn't want to burn the songs out before I hear the album. What do you guys think of the drum sound on this one? Does Roy get more transient on the snare and toms?

i don't think the drum sound was bad on these tracks..problem is that both the two new songs is like the music and drums are not perfectly in synch..it's a strange feeling, you can tell drummers were playing on different guitar riffs. can be fascinating like Buzz says, personally you miss that typical tightness Melvins got on their songs. btw, i like both the new tracks, they just sound different

))))((((

Just heard the album. Hmmm not sure about this one. I'd say Working The Ditch is easily the best song by a mile!

I had hoped that the opening track would have been more of an actual composed song than a string of sections. But my suspicions were kinda right there. It's quite meandering with not much singing either so it's more of a mood piece with some rock to end on. In a few parts you might even think you are listening to one of the more exploratory Sonic Youth records. It's a little distracting that the first 5 minutes or so completely borrows the riff from Buzzo's solo song 'Bird Animal'.

'She's Got Weird Arms' falls squarely under what i term "kooky" Melvins. On first listen it sounds a little irritating. Not one of my favourite Melvins songs. Final song 'Smiler' is a step up though - a fairly typical modern Melvins rock song. Somewhat perfunctory. I can't imagine any fan will declare this one of their favourite albums from the band. I fully expect the record will grow on me with more listens though.

Colonel Cheese

thanks for the insight. how are the guitar solos on the first long song?

))))((((

Quote from: Colonel Cheese on April 13, 2024, 08:01:22 AMhow are the guitar solos on the first long song?
To be honest i didn't actually notice any solos but i might be wrong there. I've only heard it once so far. I need to have a better focused, headphone listen later.

vince furnier

Quote from: ))))(((( on April 13, 2024, 10:43:49 AM
Quote from: Colonel Cheese on April 13, 2024, 08:01:22 AMhow are the guitar solos on the first long song?
To be honest i didn't actually notice any solos but i might be wrong there. I've only heard it once so far. I need to have a better focused, headphone listen later.
I'm guessing that means the Gary Chester stuff. it can be kind of minimal, especially with big drums.
Welcome to my Nightmare!

Israeli billionaire dies during penis enlargement surgery

black stallion

Quote from: vince furnier on April 13, 2024, 10:57:54 AM
Quote from: ))))(((( on April 13, 2024, 10:43:49 AM
especially with big drums.

tell me that again  :love:

))))((((

A few listens later - It's totally not as poor as i thought. I ALWAYS seem to be like this with new Melvins albums. First listen in and i'm super disappointed and then things gel together a bit and eventually i enjoy it. 'Pain Equals Funny' is actually pretty cool throughout. 'Smiler' a nice finisher too. It's just 'She's Got Weird Arms' and 'Allergic To Food' that i don't much like.

John Schuller

That happens to me a lot with Melvins albums - sometimes they hit me right away, other times it takes a couple of listens, other times it takes a long while - for example, I think I need to go revisit A Walk with Love and Death - I heard "Sober-delic" yesterday and it really blew my mind, but I don't remember that album doing it. Maybe it will now?

I also dug deep into the two songs from the new album and really like them - they are stoney as hell. I feel like Bad Mood Rising is also really stoney. They complement a good stone perfectly. I cannot wait to get the new record on Friday!

black stallion

yeah, A Walk With Love And Death was a underrated album imo

Colonel Cheese

i just remember in that vinyl guide podcast interview they talk about there being like 8 solos on that one song, 4 from buzz and 4 from gary, guess that may have been a joke maybe?