(the) Melvins - Tarantula Heart

Started by rimb, February 06, 2024, 04:50:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

))))((((

The more i listen to this album the more i feel a bit lukewarm about it. At first i thought the first half of 'Pain...' was good but now i feel the second half is far more interesting and that the first half isn't very good. I'm not sure i really find this a great track as a whole. I felt 'Mister Dog...' didn't entirely work and yet it feels much more cohesive and has lots more re-listen value than 'Pain'.

I rated this album as an 8/10 but now im starting to think it's more of a 7/10. Working The Ditch is the only great song. Smiler gets somewhat close to that. The rest are kinda mediocre.

Helen83

Quote from: ))))(((( on April 25, 2024, 12:01:44 PMThe more i listen to this album the more i feel a bit lukewarm about it. At first i thought the first half of 'Pain...' was good but now i feel the second half is far more interesting and that the first half isn't very good. I'm not sure i really find this a great track as a whole. I felt 'Mister Dog...' didn't entirely work and yet it feels much more cohesive and has lots more re-listen value than 'Pain'.

I rated this album as an 8/10 but now im starting to think it's more of a 7/10. Working The Ditch is the only great song. Smiler gets somewhat close to that. The rest are kinda mediocre.

You don't know whether you're coming or going.

John Schuller

It's a stellar album all of the way through. I think it might be in my top 10?

))))((((

Quote from: John Schuller on April 25, 2024, 03:21:49 PMIt's a stellar album all of the way through. I think it might be in my top 10?
I doubt i'd even consider it for top 20!

In no particular order, my top 10 would be something like this...

The Maggot
The Bootlicker
Hostile Ambient Takeover
Pigs Of The Roman Empire
Stoner Witch
(A) Senile Animal
Five Legged Dog
Freak Puke
Bullhead
Nude With Boots

Stonergrunge

hmmm, interesting, my top 10 would be something like this:

Hostile Ambient Takeover
The Maggot
Lysol
Houdini
Pigs of The Roman Empire
Hold It In
Stag
Eggnog
Freak Puke
Gluey Porch Treatments

And I still feel there is a lot left out...
cartoons, chocolate milk & rock 'n' roll!!
Fuzz is love.
Foot fetishism means love, because, it's the magic of feet odor... Long live depravation.

John Schuller

I better do some math too! (Just put Tarantula Heart on again - holy shit I love the guitar playing on this one!)

OK - let's see if I am right about my top ten.

Top Ten (no order):

1. Gluey Porch Treatments
2. Bullhead
3. Lysol
4. Stoner Witch
5. Stag
6. The Maggot
7. Hostile Ambient Takeover
8. (A) Senile Animal
9. Freak Puke
10. Bad Mood Rising
11. Tarantula Heart

Shit....my list goes to 11!!!

And I kinda want to fit Houdini and Ozma in that list too....

(the) Razor

One thing I'd like to see in future is using a different producer/production sound/mix on their records. It doesn't excite me the way those Atlantic era records sound, production wise.

Thicc Melvins are the best Melvins
Don't click this

amazonAMAZON

It would be hard for a new record to crack the top ten (Atlantic trilogy, Ipecac trilogy, BB stuff, Boner stuff, HAT, Ihs, Honky, etc.)

But if we are asking about best records post-BB era this might be top three. I know not to judge a Melvins record too soon.

black stallion

my Top ten in no particular order:

Honky
Stoner Witch
Stag
Bullhead
Lysol
POTRE
Ozma
Maggot
HAT
Bootlicker
Charmicarmicat:Bastards

Bigval

Quote from: (the) Razor on April 25, 2024, 07:46:19 PMOne thing I'd like to see in future is using a different producer/production sound/mix on their records. It doesn't excite me the way those Atlantic era records sound, production wise.

Thicc Melvins are the best Melvins

I doubt that is going to happen. Buzz & Dale own their own studio where they record all their stuff and their in-house producer is Toshi.

vince furnier

Quote from: Helen83 on April 25, 2024, 03:13:05 AM
Quote from: vince furnier on April 23, 2024, 10:35:29 PM
Quote from: Helen83 on April 23, 2024, 03:09:03 PMFirst one to sample & loop the drum break of Pain Equals Funny at the 5:30 mark gets first prize

challenge accepted!

Now pop a Schoolly D rap over that break!

not many Schoolly D acapellas available but hope this works for ya. had to speed up the tempo of the vox to fit the BPM of the drum break.
https://soundcloud.com/mzrpklps/pain-equals-funny-flip-yes-yes-yall-krs-one-schoolly-d
Welcome to my Nightmare!

Israeli billionaire dies during penis enlargement surgery

John Schuller

I would go so far as to say, Toshi is one of the Melvins.

Chief Ten Beers

Quote from: John Schuller on April 26, 2024, 03:18:12 PMI would go so far as to say, Toshi is one of the Melvins.

Sir George Kasai?

))))((((

Quote from: John Schuller on April 26, 2024, 03:18:12 PMI would go so far as to say, Toshi is one of the Melvins.
Agreed in a certain way. Although to me the band are just Buzz and Dale. Anyone else is just a peripheral member or passing through. However in effect, the only real Melvin is Buzz. He writes virtually all the material and decides upon the band direction etc. That is why i still consider his solo albums as Melvins albums whereas i don't see Dale's as being such.

amazonAMAZON

Yeah I debate that internally, too. I definitely consider Buzz solo records to be Melvins side projects. I lean towards categorizing the DC solo or any future DC Band records as Melvins side projects. I don't consider Altamont's to be Melvins records, though.