what do you recommend?

Started by musefreek, November 27, 2003, 08:14:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

0 Members and 3 Guests are viewing this topic.

musefreek

Hi everyone

I'm new to this board and The Melvins. I've heard about them countless of times of course but thought it's time I actually get an album by them.

So, my questions to all you experienced Melvin people are: what album should I get first that is a good introduction to the band?

I've read good reviews about Stoner Witch. Would that be any good?

Thanks for your help.

Vernard (I'm South African)

Reverend Ebeneezer

Muse eh? *Raises eyebrows*

Nah, I'm being a pathetic elitist...sorry. Anyhow, Stoner Witch is a fantastic album but you can get Melvinmania for about
Don't cut me!DON'T CUT ME!
-Thrones, Simon Legree live...

GrimReaper

Is every new member on this site going to ask which Melvins c/d to get?
Is this a running joke that I'm not privy to?
Anyway welcome aboard. Get Stoner Witch, Stag and H.A.T.

alnis

Every melvins album is a good album, but if you want to hear an album with good scop and a variety of melvins styles, get Stag. Or HAT.

They're both really good, but for some reason HAT doesn't sit that well with me. It's good...but for it kind of sounds like the melvins trying to sound like the melvins.

GodDammit

Prick.  It's a fanastic album.  Get it.

cooter


Ed

I don't mean to sound rude here, but I'm feeling this question should be put on an FAQ somewhere...

And the answer should be Houdini.

turnacus

Van Hagar

Beto Brasil

Trading music since 1999 :

Update : http://www.themelvins.net/beto/DVD.htm

lazy klumpfenstein

put up FAQ for newbs!!! :) and we will be saved from the same ol` same ol` threads :D

musefreek

Well, I went out yesterday and bought myself Stoner Witch. I definitely wasn't let down first listen of and I didn't expect it to be as metal as it is.
I reckon I can totally get into them.

Funny just how the album change completely as it progresses. Funny the last bit where he says "whaddaya mean, my lungs are fine" *heavy breathing*

I think I might get Houdini next as I've read it's quite similar. Yes/no?

The Chalupa

Ozma/ Gluey Porch Treatments
Stoner Witch
HAT
Stag

Dr. Gonzo

Definately prick!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Definately.... it's the best to get into the melvins, then the other more "difficult" albums like stag should be moved onto when you "understand" the melvins

Dave

Welcome... It's nice to have you here,

I've noticed something strange...

Anyone who buys a Melvins album and likes it, will end up a Melvins addict and eventually get all their albums.... It is a strange phenomenon, but I think everyone here will agree with me about this...

So be very careful, once you buy one, you will be hooked...


That being said... DO NOT start with Prick or Collossus of Destiny, anyone who recommends those is joking...

I started with Houdini, it's a good place to start...

And like I said if you buy that and like it (it's worth it for Night Goat alone) you will be hooked and end up buying the rest.
"There is no exquisite beauty without some strangeness in the proportion."

- Lord Verulam

The Wise Shotgun

You don't have enough money to be loved by anyone Davey boy, so start whackin'.