melvins remix album to be released on ipecac this fall

Started by cooter, August 21, 2003, 09:20:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

black stallion

Quote from: Juan on August 06, 2009, 04:26:42 AM
Quote from: Like Stee on August 05, 2009, 01:29:15 PM
Eye Flys may as well be the first and last Melvins song, 'cause it doesn't get any better than that.  The COD version is my favorite.

I love scaring the hell out of my neighbours with that insane bass in the intro.

cool!if i can ask Juan,do you like to headbang or that's not part of the emo culture?
Charmicarmicat:Bastards

Juan

Quote from: black stallion on August 06, 2009, 08:04:31 AM

cool!if i can ask Juan,do you like to headbang or that's not part of the emo culture?

Headbanging is uncivilised. we Emo are civilised...not chimps!

Like Stee

The COD version of Eye Flys is the heaviest thing on the planet. The guitar feedback before it drops is the most venomous guitar sound ever.
Our good friend Douchebag Dubfiend would've said "it's devastatin'."
satanoscillatemymetallicsonatas

Juan

Quote from: Like Stee on August 06, 2009, 03:02:41 PM
The COD version of Eye Flys is the heaviest thing on the planet. The guitar feedback before it drops is the most venomous guitar sound ever.
Our good friend Douchebag Dubfiend would've said "it's devastatin'."

And he would've been 100% correct.

ConJuan

Quote from: Juan on August 09, 2009, 08:54:18 AM
When does this cd come out?
It comes out this fall.  Fall is american for Autumn.
Ridicule is nothing to be scared of.

Juan

ConJuan

Quote from: Juan on August 10, 2009, 04:38:29 AM

????? There aren't 29 months in a year???!!!
There are 31 months in an American year.
Ridicule is nothing to be scared of.

Andy

The Wire magazine reviewed the album and I am going to type it out for you here goes:

"A Melvins remix album? Their own occasional flirtations with electronic noise aside, Melvins are fundamentally a heavy rock band, albeit a highly individualistic one, and should probably be left to exist as such. But clearly they believe otherwise.

If nothing else, the methodology is interesting: the post-Metal pranksters have recruited an impressive cast of guests, including Yamatsuka Eye, Merzbow, Christoph Heeman, Lee Ranaldo, Makoto Kawabata, Farmer's Manual and Matmos, among others, and given each an entire album, not just the usual single track, to work with. Some hew closer to the source material than others: Ranaldo's track splices three throbbing, hyper-aggressive songs together with only minimal tweaking, while Matmos grabs a snippet of bass and some distorted guitar and builds a glitchy techno track around them, winding up with something closer to David Bowie's "V-2 Schneider" than anything in the Melvins catalogue.

Surprisingly, Acid Mothers Temple guitarist Kawabata's contribution doesn't seem to have any guitars in it at all, and doesn't sound all that different from Merzbow's mix. Panacea's "Queen (electroclash remix)" does more or less what the title implies; he preserves Buzz Osborne's vocal and throws a big dance beat underneath. In so doing, it's one of the few tracks, along with Lee Ranaldo's and John Duncan's offerings - the latter of which basically loops a guitar riff and a thunderous Dale Crover drum pattern for five minutes - that retains much essential Melvins-ness. Ultimately this is an unnecessary album with a few interesting moments. The Melvins have released a bunch of those over the years, but this time, they've brought in outside help."

Sounds like one for the big fans to me. So...I cannot wait :D
For your health!

ManWithNoName

Thanks for typing all that up!

I can't fucking wait.

Unnecessary? WTF! If the Melvins are releasing it, it's because it is in fact NECESSARY.

Prick, Honky, Electroretard, COD? Are those unnecessary! BAH!