MELVINS - WORKING WITH GOD (NEW ALBUM!!!!!!!)

Started by Stonergrunge, November 12, 2020, 11:24:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Topaz

I agree with most of you. I would like the Melvins to do more original songs instead of padding their albums with covers.

However, I enjoy the covers a lot, especially the "obscure" ones because, well, a lot of them I didn't realize were covers.

I'm really digging this '1 Fuck You" track though. I wouldn't have known it was a cover had it not been mentioned in the media.

Nevertheless, a solid, all-originals album would be awesome.

Dumpster D

I disagree, I like covers. Back in the day it was more common for a no-name group to do entire albums "in the style of" a more popular band to sell a record.

The Covers that The melvins play have turned me on to some great bands and music I might not have otherwise taken any notice of.

I'm glad they put covers on their albums from time to time.

Jozzy

Not a fan of the recent covers but it is what it is. Melvins still rule. I will continue to support them and buy their records because they're still better than 98% of the garbage out there.

amazonAMAZON

"Shock Me" and "My War" and "Tattooed Love Boys" and both Sabbath tunes are all recent covers that kick ass. I would have no problem with these being album cuts. When I can either hear the Melvins "take" on a great song (vs just a tribute) or when I can hear the Melvins DNA in a song, I think it's album worthy. There is no too much or too little.

vaporInhaler

Just received the custard Working With God LP. Wasnt expecting for another week or so. Blowin off my plans and spinning this wax asap...
I have no idea who Glen is...

grow what you smoke

Jozzy

Just received mine as well. I never got a shipping notice but I'm not complaining.

glen

Quote from: Jozzy on February 14, 2021, 01:46:34 PM
Not a fan of the recent covers but it is what it is. Melvins still rule. I will continue to support them and buy their records because they're still better than 98% of the garbage out there.

a +1 if I ever saw it.

"Glen. You can totally go fuck yourself. I have no idea who you are and I really don't care." - Richie Goodtimes

Glen. You can totally go fuck yourself. I have no idea who you are and I really don't care.
(signed) MAYNARD  JAMES  KEENAN

Tobias

Quote from: Jozzy on February 17, 2021, 01:34:19 PM
Just received mine as well. I never got a shipping notice but I'm not complaining.
Same here but I did get a notice for the HAT and GPT and I got them both from Blixt
Have you ever only eaten what's alive?

))))((((

I heard a couple more of the songs last night before they disappeared. 'Negative No No' and 'Boy Mike' are both cool Melvins songs and probably better than i was expecting. '1 Brian...' is basically a simple intro to the main song of the same name. Repeating the title of the song. 'Fuck You' is one of the most pointless tracks ever. It is just a continuation of '1 Fuck You' which personally i feel should have been combined together as one track. Both the 'Brian' songs feel like that too. That it could have just been ONE track rather than broken up. But it does make a bit more sense on that one than it does for 'Fuck You'.

Quote from: CoryCory on February 13, 2021, 05:36:42 AM
I'm going to guess that 0:11 second "Fuck You" after is just a really short version of the Stiffs/Subhumans song.
I wish that was the case, but alas not.

black stallion

Quote from: ))))(((( on February 18, 2021, 07:04:43 AM
I heard a couple more of the songs last night before they disappeared. 'Negative No No' and 'Boy Mike' are both cool Melvins songs and probably better than i was expecting. '1 Brian...' is basically a simple intro to the main song of the same name. Repeating the title of the song. 'Fuck You' is one of the most pointless tracks ever. It is just a continuation of '1 Fuck You' which personally i feel should have been combined together as one track. Both the 'Brian' songs feel like that too. That it could have just been ONE track rather than broken up. But it does make a bit more sense on that one than it does for 'Fuck You'.

Quote from: CoryCory on February 13, 2021, 05:36:42 AM
I'm going to guess that 0:11 second "Fuck You" after is just a really short version of the Stiffs/Subhumans song.
I wish that was the case, but alas not.

so Tres Cabrones was better?
Charmicarmicat:Bastards

CoryCory

Not gonna lie I went to see if it may have showed up early though I ordered the Silver direct from Bandcamp. Probably should know better as Ipecac can be hit or miss at best with some of these orders.

black stallion

Charmicarmicat:Bastards

coodies

))))((((

Quote from: black stallion on February 18, 2021, 12:04:45 PM
I don't know. I wouldn't necessarily say that. Remember, i've only heard some of the album. I haven't heard the last 3 tracks. Of what i've heard, it is still a good record. I've gone very lukewarm on 'I Fuck Around' though now.

Quote from: black stallion on February 18, 2021, 02:17:27 PM
why is Hot Fish on this album?
I keep wondering that too. Not so much "why?" but what version is it? It would be strange if it is the one we have already heard on the Flipper split since that was Dale on drums, Trevor on bass and Flipper adding back up. Perhaps the one on this record is a re-recording with the 1983 line-up instead.

moose

Quote from: ))))(((( on February 18, 2021, 08:08:21 PM
Quote from: black stallion on February 18, 2021, 12:04:45 PM
I don't know. I wouldn't necessarily say that. Remember, i've only heard some of the album. I haven't heard the last 3 tracks. Of what i've heard, it is still a good record. I've gone very lukewarm on 'I Fuck Around' though now.

Quote from: black stallion on February 18, 2021, 02:17:27 PM
why is Hot Fish on this album?
I keep wondering that too. Not so much "why?" but what version is it? It would be strange if it is the one we have already heard on the Flipper split since that was Dale on drums, Trevor on bass and Flipper adding back up. Perhaps the one on this record is a re-recording with the 1983 line-up instead.
It's a different version
Well, we'll always have "In the Air Tonight." Will that be your most enduring song?
You know, that song won't lie down. It just won't go away. I mean, there's a Mike Tyson moment associated with it now. It's just bizarre. I guess it has a bit of mystery, a lot of atmosphere, and the drums coming in, pinning people to the wall.