What Melvins album did you start with?

Started by Fast and Bulbous, July 16, 2006, 08:28:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

0 Members and 2 Guests are viewing this topic.

ManWithNoName

Quote from: norecess on October 05, 2006, 01:43:26 PM
No metal.
Interesting. I went through a period in highschool where all I listened to was metal. Shit like cryptopsy, quo vadis, cannibal corpse, metallica, slayer, tool etc... It was at that point that I picked up stonerwitch and houdini. However I didn't really start getting into the melvins until I stopped listening to metal(first year of uni). And now that I love the melvins I'm starting to listen to more and more metal(boris, hof, mastodon, big business, karp)

When I realy got into the melvins I was listening to stuff like modest mouse, black rebel motorcycle club, the who, pavement and joy division.

anaconda

I forgot about my New Order, Joy Division, Happy Mondays phase.
That was in college.

glen

Quote from: anaconda on October 05, 2006, 02:23:55 PM
I forgot about my New Order, Joy Division, Happy Mondays phase.
That was in college.

sounds kinda gay to me.   :lol:
"Glen. You can totally go fuck yourself. I have no idea who you are and I really don't care." - Richie Goodtimes

Glen. You can totally go fuck yourself. I have no idea who you are and I really don't care.
(signed) MAYNARD  JAMES  KEENAN

anaconda


steve

Quote from: PAUL on October 05, 2006, 11:31:22 AM
I'd be interested to know what music people were listening to before they discovered the Melvins

I listened to a lot of Ministry... 

...Steve

morypcaina

some guy on another forum liked a lot of the same prog rock that I liked  :D (as opposed to the prog rock I don't like :lol:) said he liked the Melvins. Judging by what I'd read of the music I didn't get how he liked it, but eventually I got Stoner Witch. Good shit. Also got Houdini but am unsure what else to hear next.

norecess

Quote from: morypcaina on October 05, 2006, 06:06:36 PM
some guy on another forum liked a lot of the same prog rock that I liked  :D (as opposed to the prog rock I don't like :lol:) said he liked the Melvins. Judging by what I'd read of the music I didn't get how he liked it, but eventually I got Stoner Witch. Good shit. Also got Houdini but am unsure what else to hear next.

Well, what other prog rock do you like? Or what do you like about that in general?

norecess

Quote from: glen on October 05, 2006, 02:45:07 PM
Quote from: anaconda on October 05, 2006, 02:23:55 PM
I forgot about my New Order, Joy Division, Happy Mondays phase.
That was in college.

sounds kinda gay to me.   :lol:

Gayer than Iron Maiden?  :-&

irezumi

I went to see them with a friend on the Stoner Witch tour, and was blown away... The next day I bought Stoner Witch, and in the following two weeks picked up Houdini, Lysol, Eggnog, & Bullhead....  It took a little while for me to find Ozma & Prick back in those days...

peopleperson

For me it was Bullhead and Ozma equally.  A friend took me to see them around 90 or so and I was promptly astounded.  Never seen or heard anything like it.  Overall, if I had to pick an LP, Lysol would probably be the masterpiece to me.

I know this thread is old.  I'm new.  You will now give me a break.

Michael Jordan

Quote from: norecess on October 05, 2006, 01:43:26 PM
but more importantly: an open mind; changed my perspective on music and more.

Couldn't have described it better... 


I was listening to a lot of Dinosaur jr., Pixies, Primus, Therapy?, Alice In Chains, Sonic youth and Nirvana when I was younger. I then discovered old school punk (dead kennedys, black flag, circle jerks, flipper) when I was about 16-17, which was when I really started to get into the melvins as well (first album Ozma/Gluey).

ever since my musical range varies from heavy stuff like napalm death,pantera (especially "the great southern trendkill") and (anything by) the melvins, to gay pop such as belle and sebastian, to dub (GG project) to classical (mozart, bethoven) to latin and percussions...    but mostly Melvins...    atm I've got ziggy stardust playing on my cd player.
Why say no to drugs when you can say yes?

a sharp thing

I was around 16 or 17. Tool was my favorite band. I was going through the transcendence of Lateralus' influence. My good friend was strating to branch out while I was still obsessed with Tool. He burned me Tomahawk's self-titled album, which I liked more, and Hostile Ambient Takeover. A couple months later, I can't stop listening to HAT. I branch out to Mike Patton, to John Zorn, to Yamatsuka eYe, and to everything else. I come back maybe a year later and discover that The Melvins are one of the best bands ever.

Leeech

The maggot is the first I ever owned.
I'd heard more through a friend who played them at bonfires but I can't remember which I heard first. Either way he ended up selling me Eggnog, Lysol, 26 and GPT for 20 bucks for all of them. The maggot holds a special place as my first melvins album owned though haha.

MailOrderBride

I bought Stoner Witch and Houdini at the same time. About a week or two after Stoner Witch had come out. Next one I bought was Lysol and it was only one track and I had paid 15 bucks for it and I was pissed! I copied it to tape and then became addicted to it. I think I bought Bullhead or Your Choice Live after that, I can't remember.

Salty Green

my life revolved around skateboarding in the late 90's and songs used in skate video soundtracks were often times my first glimpse of bands i would later become a fan of. Melvins were one such band. first i heard about 30 seconds of Sweet Willy Rollbar in Rodney vs. Daewon. i didn't really like it much, the vocals especially being a turn off for me. then came their version of Lexicon Devil in Foundation's Nervous Breakdown video. i liked it a lot, as i did the rest of the video's punk-centric soundtrack. then i heard Honey Bucket in All Systems Go, and i was blown away. i would play that part of the tape and not even watch the skating sometimes, i just wanted to hear that song. i then checked out Houdini hoping to find 13 Honey Buckets on the album and was sorely mistaken. much time then passed and i started listening to better music, and after seeing that there was a Melvins member in Fantomas, a band that i am a big fan of, i gave Houdini a second chance and i've been hooked since...