Nude With Boots

Started by Jaron, March 27, 2008, 11:00:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mopafeena

Great Album!!

Very much not what i was expecting, sound wise, but i love it.
www.myspace.com/mopafeena
www.myspace.com/afeenaband

norecess

Quote from: Mount Ambulance on April 12, 2008, 06:42:46 PM
'It Tastes Better Than The Truth' more great atmospheric creep ... paraniod, cagey, & demented (kinda reminds me of 22 Going On 23 by the Surfers).

Ha, you're not the first one who noticed that!

black stallion

Quote from: tommyhc on April 12, 2008, 06:25:34 PM
Anyone notice the similarities between Dies Iraea and the Theme song for the Movie "The Shinning". Sounds like a cover.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=EoHm6UywRTw&feature=related

:o :o :o
Charmicarmicat:Bastards

Doody the Clown

Quote from: tommyhc on April 12, 2008, 06:25:34 PM
Anyone notice the similarities between Dies Iraea and the Theme song for the Movie "The Shinning". Sounds like a cover.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=EoHm6UywRTw&feature=related
It's a cover of Hector Berlioz's rendition of Dies Irae.  So yeah, I guess King Buzzo was watching The Shining one too many times during the recording process :o

black stallion

:o :o :o :o.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hector_Berlioz

they always succeed in surprising me!thanks for the information Doody.

Pringles

The album is good. Far from the melvins best, but it's good. Sound like regular rock too much for my taste.  Some part of it even sound like 80 glam rock.

I hated Suicide in progress live, but now, on the album version, I love it.

The Kicking Machine is jazzy.

Dies Irae sound like a Thrones song mixed with Shevil.

Dog island sound like old school Melvins.

The Smiling Cobra rock!

The drum on Nude with boot is straight out from 10 song.

The Stupid creep is an annoying song.

The song Flush is a cheap filler. It's just "bird-like" noise for 1 minute.

Luck is a residue of design

z

Quote from: SpaceFarm on April 12, 2008, 08:45:26 PM
I can't see how there could be such a massive difference of recording quality on the same album between the songs.

The most likely reason there is a difference in sound quality for "the savage hippy" is because it was recorded during a different session, presumably sometime in 2007 for the APOD singles.

black stallion

Quote from: Pringles on April 13, 2008, 01:53:56 PM
The album is good. Far from the melvins best, but it's good. Sound like regular rock too much for my taste.  Some part of it even sound like 80 glam rock.

I hated Suicide in progress live, but now, on the album version, I love it.

The Kicking Machine is jazzy.

Dies Irae sound like a Thrones song mixed with Shevil.

Dog island sound like old school Melvins.

The Smiling Cobra rock!

The drum on Nude with boot is straight out from 10 song.

The Stupid creep is an annoying song.

The song Flush is a cheap filler. It's just "bird-like" noise for 1 minute.

if we consider Led Zeppelin as a jazzy band ,i agree with you about the Kicking Machine.
talking about the glam vibe of the album,of course,i had this feeling since ASA.if i have to be sincere,i can understand who doesn't really like vocals attitude and would prefer buzz as the only singer in the band,like old times.listening to their vocal harmonies now can make you feel dazed.
my opinion is: behind  there's an amazing work!vocals harmonies are simply brilliant both in ASA and even more in NWB and about this i don't want to be blasphemous thinking to the melvins really "into" Beach Boys at this time.
anyway, the  picture from the NWB recording session  that brian has posted in the melv.net main page  explains very well what i'm talking about.

glen

Quote from: black stallion on April 14, 2008, 03:49:47 AM

i can understand who doesn't really like vocals attitude and would prefer buzz as the only singer in the band,like old times.listening to their vocal harmonies now can make you feel dazed.
my opinion is: behind  there's an amazing work!vocals harmonies are simply brilliant both in ASA and even more in NWB and about this i don't want to be blasphemous thinking to the melvins really "into" Beach Boys at this time.

like I've said before here...    I'm thinking this all goes back to Buzz trying to incorporate the tools at hand. its fair to say Buzz/Dale are heavily experienced at their profession.    with experience comes knowledge. with knowledge comes maturity.   with maturity comes efficiency.      using your assets to the best of their ability is an excercise in efficiency.   so basically Buzz's thought process is "if I have two drummers I'm going to write songs with alot of drums.  if I have two (or three) vocalists I'm going to write parts in my songs that are vocals orientated.".     just like he wrote in alot of slide bass when Rutmanis was in the band and more intricate guitar solos when Mark D. was in the band, etc. 
with (A)SA he was close but didn't quite nail down the connection between what he had to work with and the songs in his head.   with this album I think he does a better job of connecting the tools to the songs.   the songs came out much better as a whole and get a little closer to what we've all come to know as top-of-the-line MELVINS "music".     before this album I was saying to myself somewhere deep down inside "whack the Big Biz boys ASAP!"    now I'm not so sure.  maybe there is some legendary product to be had here.
"Glen. You can totally go fuck yourself. I have no idea who you are and I really don't care." - Richie Goodtimes

Glen. You can totally go fuck yourself. I have no idea who you are and I really don't care.
(signed) MAYNARD  JAMES  KEENAN

Doody the Clown

So far I like all the stuff with Big Biz better than old Melvins, but it's really hard to say that when most of it is incomparable.

I first discovered the Melvins just before (A) Senile Animal came out, and only listened to old stuff (HAT and before) during that time, without even knowing (A)SA was coming out or had come out, and I didn't get to hear it until nearly a year after the fact, but it blew my mind and quickly became one of my favorite records of all time.

I want to see at least one more album done with Big Biz, but think it'd be better for them to eventually part ways and do something new with some fresh faces in the band, keeping the core duo intact ofcourse.

Leroy

The Melvins rock stuff is better than their noise stuff.  Honestly I don't think they'll put out much noise records anymore because it's simply not fun for them to play it live.  They probably never even played Mark D's stupid song "Lacrimosa" (from the Stag album) or "Sterilized".

ManWithNoName

I like the noise stuff. I can't listen to the bloated pope without listening to III. Without III the beginning to bloated pope is completely different and not nearly as powerful.

I think flush and dies araea are awesome tracks and felt that ASA lacked in the noise department. Noise is an integral part of this band.

black stallion

Quote from: Leroy on April 14, 2008, 08:55:10 AM
They probably never even played Mark D's stupid song "Lacrimosa" (from the Stag album) or "Sterilized".

:oops:

And on this dayFull of tearsWhen from the ashesThere ariseGuilty man, to be judgedLordHave mercy upon himGentle lord JesusGrant them rest.... =P~ =P~

norecess

Quote from: Doody the Clown on April 14, 2008, 07:39:14 AM
So far I like all the stuff with Big Biz better than old Melvins

Just wondering if anyone else agrees. Anyone?

Every time I put on GPT I can't help but thinking 'goddamn! they were goddamn peaking here!'.

black stallion

Quote from: norecess on April 14, 2008, 11:23:24 AM
Quote from: Doody the Clown on April 14, 2008, 07:39:14 AM
So far I like all the stuff with Big Biz better than old Melvins

Just wondering if anyone else agrees. Anyone?

Every time I put on GPT I can't help but thinking 'goddamn! they were goddamn peaking here!'.

and lysol,bullhead,ozma,eggnog,honky,potre,stag,hat?
i really love the melvins+big biz stuffs,but is too hard to agree with Doody,even if tastes are subjective and even if thinking to this comparison is not my main thought.