If you had to put together a melvins worst of ...

Started by Hog log, December 23, 2005, 04:39:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Chief Ten Beers

There are no bad Melvins songs period. I'm not counting "field recordings" like Theresa Screams, Messaged Saved, some of the stuff on Prick, etc. They aren't "songs", but they're there for a reason.

Reverend Ebeneezer

Quote from: Chief Ten Beers on December 25, 2005, 04:11:39 PM
There are no bad Melvins songs period. I'm not counting "field recordings" like Theresa Screams, Messaged Saved, some of the stuff on Prick, etc. They aren't "songs", but they're there for a reason.

Come come, surely you must agree that some of the songs on something like Mangled Demos are at least throwaway if not indisputably bad...

That's another one by the by which needs mining...not keen on a huge amount on the Mangled CD...
Don't cut me!DON'T CUT ME!
-Thrones, Simon Legree live...

CaptainPungent

as wonderful of an album as stag is
I dislike the song black bock
this isn't the melvins i enjoy
i guess they really wanted to try something new and slightly gay.
heh.

does anyone feel what i'm saying or have a different take on it?

Chief Ten Beers

Black Bock is fucking awesome. The music is happy and cheery, but the lyrics are typical dark, brilliant Melvins.

I can easily listen to Mangled Demos all the way through. Sure it's not groundbreaking or as good as Black Flag, Bad Brains or Misfits, but for some 18 yr old backwoods refects who weren't a part of any scene, it's damn good.

Leroy

Bad melvins songs:

Shit Storm (this track clearly took practically no effort.

Chief Ten Beers

anaconda

thor

Quote from: Chief Ten Beers on January 12, 2006, 07:20:52 PM
Quote from: Leroy on January 12, 2006, 07:01:38 PM
Bad melvins songs:

Shit Storm (this track clearly took practically no effort.  99% of owners of Electroretard just press the "skip track" button on their cd players)

I used to skip over Shit Storm alot because YoA is so awesome. Then one day I let it play all the way through, and found out how great Shit Storm segues into YoA. The last 30-60 seconds of it just boils over to the opening notes. I can't explain it, but it works perfectly. Trust me, crank it up and try it. The Melvins knew what they were doing putting this awesome backwards track at the beginning of this CD.

Play Shitstorm backwards and see what you think!
Bass player, recording engineer, Melvins superfan

CaptainPungent

Quote from: Chief Ten Beers on January 12, 2006, 06:34:20 PM
Black Bock is fucking awesome. The music is happy and cheery, but the lyrics are typical dark, brilliant Melvins.

I can easily listen to Mangled Demos all the way through. Sure it's not groundbreaking or as good as Black Flag, Bad Brains or Misfits, but for some 18 yr old backwoods refects who weren't a part of any scene, it's damn good.
bad brains=my favorite punk band (if you discount mangled demos and others)
maybe one of the only ones i can fully enjoy.
i think it's great that everything the melvins put out is unique and unexpected.
i love everything up to the toedy toedy toe, oo la la la la.
there is an undertone throughout that album of darkness, but looking at it with an impressionistic view, less is more.  no doubt skin horse is kind of eerie along with goggles and those "non-rock" songs like hide.
I didn't like cottonmouth when i first heard it, but i've gotten more into ween so i now can listen to it and enjoy.
and was that comment towards me, because if it is, i'm not quite sure i get it.
heh, i'm a city boy!
bown an' raized

Leroy

I never played that song backwards before.  I'll have to check that out with my computer

Chief Ten Beers

Quote from: CaptainPungent on January 12, 2006, 09:12:51 PM
Quote from: Chief Ten Beers on January 12, 2006, 06:34:20 PM

I didn't like cottonmouth when i first heard it, but i've gotten more into ween so i now can listen to it and enjoy.
and was that comment towards me, because if it is, i'm not quite sure i get it.
heh, i'm a city boy!
bown an' raized
No dude, not towards you. I meant that the Melvins (in '83) were a bunch of 18-19 yr old rejects from the backwoods of Washington who were awesome but not a part of the great punk scene of the time. That would have been awesome to see them open for the Minutemen when they rolled through in '84.

I love Cottonmouth. Melvins could be the greatest white blues band if they wanted to. "Mississippi Dale Crover"!

Reverend Ebeneezer

Cottonmouth rules...it's seriously one of their best tracks. Shame on you for nominating it!;)
Don't cut me!DON'T CUT ME!
-Thrones, Simon Legree live...

rhett E rock

Hag Me.  it's the ONLY Melvins song i hate.  i take back whatever i have said about Boris.  this is one reason i'm excited to hear the new Houdini...

i'll end on this note...
Black Bock is why i love the Melvins.  they'll just throw some random shit at you.  shit the average person (excluding us Melvins fans of course) wouldn't expect them to pull off.  this is the only song my girlfriend likes by the Melvins.  and she LOVES it.  hehehe, she hates to admit it to.  hehehehehe.

the bloat

Beebzer and Gronk

some songs on bullhead are really short. some of electro retard isn't my thing, and i haven't figured out COD yet.

i was gonna say some songs on houdini, but that isn't possible cause they are all good.
push the little daisy's and make them come up